Cedrus Deodara (Himalayan Cedar) progression

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Cedrus Deodara (Himalayan Cedar) progression

Post by Patmet »

This is a Himalayan Cedar I purchased from a garden nursery in 2020. Being very new to bonsai still and completely clueless to Cedars I proceeded to bare root the poor thing in the middle of autumn.

It went into a large but shallower container. Unsurprisingly it dropped pretty much all of it's needles shortly after and took the best part of two years to slowly recover. I think the only reason it managed to recover is due to how young it was and maybe just sheer luck.

At the end of winter 2022 I started to work the trunk and branches. The heavily drooping branches I know are not characteristic of these cedars in nature, having more horizontal branches, but that is the direction I chose to go with this one so I'm rolling with it.

I have a group of sacrifice branches covered by the cloth in the photos to help keep the trunk thickening. I think it's on a good path to be a nice literati/bunjin bonsai eventually.
Screenshot_20230606_084543_Gallery.jpg
April 2020 from nursery
Screenshot_20230606_084539_Gallery.jpg
April 2020 after bare rooting (do not recommend)
Screenshot_20230605_071405_Gallery.jpg
August 2022 tree had recovered enough to start working
Screenshot_20230605_071455_Gallery.jpg
August 2022 after first wiring/styling
Screenshot_20230606_085254_Gallery.jpg
June 2023 second round of work
Screenshot_20230606_085436_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230606_085515_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Cedrus Deodara (Himalayan Cedar) progression

Post by Ryceman3 »

The tree seems to be kicking on despite your best efforts to kill it! :P
Love a progression thread, keep updating as things progress. I think it looks like a pretty decent start and will only get better from here.
:beer: :yes:
Trimmy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Trimmy »

Looks good. I bought one recently. Still deciding on what style to use. All the pictures I've seen were formal upright apart from yours. Not sure if I should get more creative than that. Mine has a slightly thinner trunk so I could probably get more bendy if I wanted to.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Good work nursing back to health.

They take many many years to set branches to the position you want with wire. The branches spring back.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Daluke wrote: June 6th, 2023, 8:18 pm Good work nursing back to health.

They take many many years to set branches to the position you want with wire. The branches spring back.
Yes I definitely found that out when I took the first round of wire off they sprung back a lot. Tony Bebb recently showed me a method for helping with that. You stab the tips of your scissors into the branch on top of the bend and make a series of little cuts in the area. The principle being the tree will make little bits of scar tissue that will result in the branch becoming more rigid. I’ve done it this time so I will find out and update with how it goes.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Trimmy wrote: June 6th, 2023, 7:35 pm Looks good. I bought one recently. Still deciding on what style to use. All the pictures I've seen were formal upright apart from yours. Not sure if I should get more creative than that. Mine has a slightly thinner trunk so I could probably get more bendy if I wanted to.
That would be people imitating how they grow in nature. They naturally grow as tall straight upright trees with horizontal branches. Really just depends what takes your fancy. My personal philosophy with bonsai is that I don’t limit myself to only styling trees to how the species would grow in nature. I definitely take inspiration from the natural form, and it’s very important to work with and not against the growth habit of the species. But I put most of my focus on the particular tree in front of me and how to get the best out of its features.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

You have done super well with that, cedars I have found to be pretty hardy, the tris is to get trunk thickness is to wait forever. Love the style you have adopted with this and in time should look really attractive. One thing to keep in mind is that their bark gets cut into very quickly and then it takes forever to bark up so you will have to live with that for a long time. Keep us posted on your progress.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Just brought this one inside and did some trimming, and most importantly cut off most of the wire I applied earlier in the year. It was starting to bite in a bit.

The branches did still spring back a bit so my strategy now is using cable ties as guy wires with smooth rubber to protect the trunk and branches. I've pulled all the main branches into the trunk pretty hard so we'll see how long I can get away with leaving these on there. Should be able to a lot longer than wire.
Screenshot_20231105_064343_Gallery.jpg
Before work
Screenshot_20231105_064357_Gallery.jpg
After trim and cable ties
Screenshot_20231105_064306_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231105_064412_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”