Thuja Orientalis 'Aurea Nana' - Dwarf Golden Biota

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Thuja Orientalis 'Aurea Nana' - Dwarf Golden Biota

Post by Patmet »

This is something I picked up from a garden nursery some time mid 2021. I'm not going to sugar coat it and I'll be perfectly frank. It was not a good piece of material at all. Straight trunk, lots of bar branches shooting straight up as is the habit of this species. It was declining in health due to taking a long time to be sold and sitting in heavy nursery mix. For some reason I'm still not sure I wanted to try it for bonsai and bought it.

Got it out of the heavy mix and into a well draining one, which helped it get back to health. Also got a good fertilise. Cut it right back to expose all the dead interior that had been shaded, and proceeded to do my best to start wiring some movement into the tree.

It's been a real challenge for me to figure out how to get the best out of what's there and I'm actually starting to enjoy the tree now. It's a little unconventional but I think it's getting some character. Has a long way to go but I think I'd like to hang onto it and keep it going.

I've got some branches still wired up in there to be future jin. Also needs a repot but I think I'll leave that for another time as I've worked it quite hard today.
Screenshot_20230910_133920_Gallery.jpg
The best picture I could find as it was from nursery 2021
Screenshot_20230910_134021_Gallery.jpg
First work September 2021
Screenshot_20230910_134355_Gallery.jpg
Gaining strength again November 2021
Screenshot_20230910_092340_Gallery.jpg
After work November 2022
Screenshot_20230910_134753_Gallery.jpg
After a clean out but before work September 2023
Screenshot_20230910_134904_Gallery.jpg
After work September 2023. I decided the whole top had to go it was just straight and boring with little taper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Thuja Orientalis 'Aurea Nana' - Dwarf Golden Biota

Post by GavinG »

Something from nothing! Good work, please keep posting it.

Gavin
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Re: Thuja Orientalis 'Aurea Nana' - Dwarf Golden Biota

Post by Patmet »

Got stuck into this again the weekend just gone. A foliage clean out, and spreading everything back out again with wire to open the tree back up.

I have it left very busy as I want to incorporate a lot more jin into the design, but I want it to be twisted and interesting. So I'm just wiring all the branches up at this stage only removing things that absolutely need to go.

I want to create a shari on the trunk connecting to the lower dead snag to create more interest, and help swell the lower trunk.
20240212_195612_1.jpg
Before
20240218_130713_1.jpg
After
Screenshot_20240219_073132_Gallery.jpg
Intended shari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”