Chinese Juniper (unkown cultivar) progression

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Chinese Juniper (unkown cultivar) progression

Post by Patmet »

This is one of my very first pieces of material I started experimenting with as a newbie back in 2019. Bought from a garden nursery in a neglected corner, it didn't have any sort of label. I believe it's a Chinese Juniper of some sort. It doesn't have the best foliage it's a bit loose and floppy, but I have found it does dense up and get tighter with bonsai techniques. All part of the individual character of the tree to me.

It started out very leggy and sparse with a lot of juvenile growth. Over the years it has now started to become a slender slanting tree.

Hopefully you enjoy the photo journey. Many mistakes and learning are tied up in this tree. It's not the best piece of material going but it's a special one personally.
Screenshot_20231031_102220_Gallery.jpg
March 2019 from the nursery
Screenshot_20231031_102853_Gallery.jpg
March 2019 my first attempt at styling with no idea what I was doing
Screenshot_20231031_102229_Gallery.jpg
April 2021
Screenshot_20231031_113603_Gallery.jpg
Mid 2021 my first attempt splitting a branch and heavy bending. (Just went for it no raffia or anything) :palm:
Screenshot_20231031_113806_Gallery.jpg
Late 2021 reo bar removed trying to work out where to go next.
Screenshot_20231031_102237_Gallery.jpg
April 2022 first styling to current direction as a slanting tree. With the guidance of Tony Bebb the first time he visited little old Albany.
Screenshot_20231031_102242_Gallery.jpg
Winter 2023 after some free growth
Screenshot_20231031_065631_Gallery.jpg
Late winter 2023 into first bonsai pot and a pumice/scoria/pine bark mix. Something I had sitting around from Bad Swan Ceramics. There was always a natural shari in the trunk which I have opened up some more.
Screenshot_20231031_102447_Gallery.jpg
As is currently spring 2023. Unfortunately the stretching branch to the right balancing the design started browning off for some reason so I decided to just jin it.
There are many other young branches there I will grow out to replace it. Minor setback, what else can you do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Re: Chinese Juniper (unkown cultivar) progression

Post by rodm »

:clap: Well done. What a great progression :tu: :tu:
Cheers RodM
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Re: Chinese Juniper (unkown cultivar) progression

Post by Patmet »

Just worked on this one again. A prune and removal of all the old wire + a re-wire. Cut a fair bit off, pulling things back towards being in proportion to the trunk. The top is as high as I want it now so starting to round off and build an apex. Haven't bothered to wire all the small floppy foliage at this stage, I will wait for what backbudding I get.

I've just purchased a new bonsai pot for this aswell. It's a tokoname brown clay drum pot that is slightly smaller and shallower than the current one. I think it will be better suited. Will repot later in the year.

I thought I had taken a photo before doing the work but turns out I forgot.
20240417_205320_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”