Seedling hatched Australian baobab

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
zen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Seedling hatched Australian baobab

Post by zen »

Hi all, just wanted to show off my little Australian baobab seedlings. Start of my progression in Sydney. I bought 20 seeds, only 2 hatched. I will buy more seeds next week. Ive grown the African baobabs in Sydney before. Not sure if they'll be the similar, time will tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Re: Seedling hatched Australian baobab

Post by dansai »

I'm sure they will fine. Just back off the water in winter. If they are anything like the Brachychitons (same Family) I grow they should be easy.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

My family collected some baobab seed for me when in WA a few years ago. They didn't germinate, so I eventually chucked them, only to discover that they were swollen and green inside. I would say still viable after many months in the soil. If I get another opportunity to plant seed, I will be more patient. I gather that they need zero water during Winter (at least here in Brisbane), so need to be placed under cover out of the rain in the colder months.
zen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zen »

dansai wrote: November 9th, 2023, 6:40 am I'm sure they will fine. Just back off the water in winter. If they are anything like the Brachychitons (same Family) I grow they should be easy.
Thanks Dansai. I think they'll be fine too. I will slow down the watering in Autumn.
zen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zen »

Redsonic wrote: November 9th, 2023, 9:44 am My family collected some baobab seed for me when in WA a few years ago. They didn't germinate, so I eventually chucked them, only to discover that they were swollen and green inside. I would say still viable after many months in the soil. If I get another opportunity to plant seed, I will be more patient. I gather that they need zero water during Winter (at least here in Brisbane), so need to be placed under cover out of the rain in the colder months.
I think you're right that they're viable after many months. Yep, they are not to be watered in the winter. I generally stop the watering sometime in Autumn in Sydney.
zen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zen »

IMG_20231201_065816.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by DaveZ »

Nice work.

Do you know what species they are? I had a lot better result germinating A gregorii seeds. Just make sure you scarify them first. I put them in a mug, poured boiling water over them then just left them till the following day.

Cheers,
Dave.
zen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zen »

Thank you Dave. They're A Gregorii.
zen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zen »

Another month goes by, Ive put the 2 Australian Baobabs in larger tubes. I will just let it grow indoors by the window sill.
IMG_20231222_064255.jpg

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”