Spartan Juniper - Personal Challenge

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Spartan Juniper - Personal Challenge

Post by Patmet »

I have this Spartan Juniper - (Juniper Chinensis 'Spartan') I bought from a nursery about 5 years ago. This was one of my first lot of plants I started messing around with as I caught the bonsai bug.

Not knowing anything about this cultivar, I attempted to create a formal upright tree. I wired all the branches down and was pretty chuffed with the result. Once the wire started to bite I took it off and those branches grew straight back up with a ferocity.

I then started to read online about the Spartan cultivar and peoples experience trying to make bonsai out of it. Long story short, I pretty much gave up on this and it went to the sidelines with nothing being done to it except keep it alive until recently. I almost got rid of it but I've now decided to have some fun with it and challenge myself to see what I can do with it just for the sake of trying.

It got repotted and well fertilised and is now back in good health. I am still thinking of going for a formal upright with the straight trunk, but I definitely won't be wiring any branches down as I want to work with the growth habit now. We'll see what happens.
Screenshot_20231202_135103_Gallery.jpg
My first attempt at styling this. March 2019.
Screenshot_20231202_134851_Gallery.jpg
As it is today.
Screenshot_20231202_134855_Gallery.jpg
The other side

Screenshot_20231202_134859_Gallery.jpg
Close up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”