Tridents Galore

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Tridents Galore

Post by alpineart »

Steve B wrote:Some very nice trunks lurking under all that foliage Alpine! Must have been a bit like a kid on Christmas morning - ripping off the wrapping to see what goodies you had underneath.
Hi Steve B, they are all nice trunks just some are better than others . Time will improve all of them and branch placement will continue to be the priority during the growing seasons to come , the fusing process on the limited few that need more time and work will continue with excess growth above and below ground .

It is a bit like crissy exposing the trunks to see the improvement from last year some disappointments but that's life .

Cheers Alpine .
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Phoenix238 wrote:Was just wondering myself what you do with all the leaves afterwards :o

Wish I could have grow beds like these, the results are fantastic. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Hi Phoenix238 , all the trimming from all healthy plants go straight into or onto grow beds . These trident are trimmed and the branches and all are spread around the bases so the sun doesn't cook the soil after all it has been shaded from the heat by the new growth .

You dont need a large area but it does help . The soil hear has taken many years to be just average and still needs plenty of additives to make it productive . It was originally red clay and shale only requiring tonnes of various mulches over a course of 10 years or more . Some are blessed to have good soils in their yards to start with .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

I decided to trim the last grow beds as they look a bit congested under the canopies .I have trimmed back to selective side shoots and will now feed these up for their final growth this year , a sacrifice branch or shoot /leader has been left where required . No more trimming until winter when most of these 5- yo plus variants will be potted up for sale as well defined trainers
P1110384.JPG
P1110386.JPG
P1110388.JPG
P1110390.JPG
This lot is in their second year and are just single leader whips . I have cut them back to a low side shoot or low vertical leader . I usually don't cut like this , but with another batch of this seasons whips growing i decided to try a different method of growing , basically a 10-12mm chop tops from 50-150mm high trunks again with leaders left untrimmed . The few ring ins in the foreground are sister whips which has issues and should of been destroyed and some fused trunk groups as per a previous topic .
P1110385.JPG
P1110389.JPG
All the grow bed stock has now been trimmed , it can grow as ugly as it likes for the rest of the growing season . Time to work on a few potted tree's from now on .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

with Autumn been and gone it time to sort out the grow beds . A couple of new location are required due to the earthworks however there is plenty of options . There is plenty of material here which is about to go up for sale , Trident maples , Japanese Maples , American Hornbeams , Crab Apples and Cherries , numerous varieties and configurations from single trunk to multi groups all are well developed and refined not just trunks with options .
P1110727.JPG
P1110728.JPG
P1110729.JPG
P1110731.JPG
P1110735.JPG
P1110736.JPG
P1110737.JPG
A couple of collected trunks taking shape
P1110730.JPG
P1110732.JPG
P1110733.JPG
P1110734.JPG
Certainly have my work cut out sorting these buggers out .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

a thing of beauty... Amazing amount of work put in. :worship: :worship:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Raymond , If you put the foot work in you will end up with a good result ", certainly have both here :yes: .

Cheers Alpine
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Grainer »

Tried this a few years ago.. unfortunately the experiment failed and ended up with about 50 individual trees next to each other.. take time to ensure they are tightly bound and damp.. use sphagnum moss to help join them and score them regularly to promote healing together in my opinion..
good luck
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Grainer , mate I supplied hundreds of whips quite a few years ago to members here who wanted to create fused trunks and groups and requested they do topics to show the progressions . Nobody to my knowledge made a topic , obviously they failed with their attempts ???. The only draw back here are slaters as they like to live in the trunks and these little critters love to eat the bark off and hence die-back occurs making fusing difficult , dead and decaying material wont fuse . I have since discover "Slater Killa" which has controlled the infestations and alleviated the loss of individual trunks .

If they are secured and maintained no other actions are necessary , spagnum moss in and around the trunks stimulates roots growth , scoring attracts critters and fungus and in my opinion doesn't aid in fusing . Some trunks just don't fuse while the wire , cord or restraints just cut in and the bark rolls over . There's no perfect way except persistence , Winners never quit and Quitters never win .

Cheers Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Been missing in action for some time with family and work related issues , now its time to rip into the neglected stock which has been left to do what plants do ..These Tridents are the collected trunks from years ago , branch placement has taken place over the last few seasons now its time to begin major ramification and refinement which has also began in the ground . The narebri have also been developed while in the grow beds , some bases prior to trimming and potting
P1120007.JPG
P1120008.JPG
P1120009.JPG
P1120010.JPG
P1120011.JPG
P1120012.JPG
P1120013.JPG
P1120014.JPG
. These will grace the pots from here on and begin as a part of the potted collection here .
P1120027.JPG
P1120028.JPG
Every faults a feature and these have plenty , they also have individual and unique attributes considering they were all severely chop topped and flat cut on collection .All the Trident grow beds are now re-planted out and its time to move onto a few other jobs around here .

Cheers Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

These few have had several trims over this season and developing well
P1120220.JPG
P1120222.JPG
the grow bed stock is very healthy considering I still haven't fertilized anything this year
P1120219.JPG
My sales material is growing healthy also considering it too hasn't seen ferts since last Spring
P1120221.JPG

Cheers Alpineart
Last edited by alpineart on January 5th, 2017, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

it all looks very healthy Alpine and a lot of work. :o :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice collection of stock there Alp and looks like plenty more in the beds too :yes:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

:worship: :worship:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mathew , everything here is very healthy and yes there is plenty of work to do but I'm struggling to find the time lately . Watering has been via hired help as I haven't been home regularly and don't trust timers after a burst high pressure pvc main line .

Hi kc , this stock is well refined both branching and roots have been developed over the course of 5-7 years , trimming the foliage regularly over the season when possible . Blessed I didn't fertilize or the would be overgrown weeds

Hi Raymond :wave: ;) :P

Cheers guys . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This one got some special treatment yesterday , while I was in the swing of things
P1120475.JPG
P1120476.JPG
P1120477.JPG
P1120478.JPG
P1120479.JPG
P1120480.JPG
With some spare time I will wire the straight branch or cut it back and grow some movement . The base is 145mm at ground level , definitely more under the surface , More than happy with the progress considering this is it's first year in a training pot from the grow beds .

Cheers Alpineart

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”