Ginko Biloba...As per request..Please add yours

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Ginko Biloba...As per request..Please add yours

Post by bodhidharma »

I was asked to post a pic of a Ginko that has had movement created in the trunk.I am not sure of their potential as a Bonsai and i have only seen them in their typical pose as a flame. I have heard one person say that if they had to keep only one tree from their collection it would be the Ginko. He had a picture of it in the book and it must be more impressive in the flesh and in its Autumn finery. Due to its SLOW growth habit it will be a long time before i see this trees potential (if it has any) This was defoliated this year and i think the leaves came back BIGGER. So if anyone else has any Ginkos they would like to contribute, that is in development, please feel free. I personally think good Ginko Bonsai's are quite few and far between. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Kyushu Danji
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ginkgo, Japanese Maple, Stewartia
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: Ginko Biloba...As per request..Please add yours

Post by Kyushu Danji »

I've seen some fantastic examples in Japan.

Currently I have nursery stock that I intend to start work on in a few years, but it needs a much thicker trunk. I think the reason that they are often in the flame style is because random branches sporadically tend to die back, so any extensive styling can lead to disappointment if the tree decides to not shoot on a particular branch. If you look at the tree in the photo, there is little branch work at all. The leaves just hang from the trunk on small, thin stems.
Also I have read that they tend not to heal very well when severely cut back either. In my opinion they should just be kept tidy and enjoyed for autumn colour. That said, they are one of my favorites.

EDIT: Just saw the last photo of yours! You are probably right, they look better in the garden, except they grow so tall its not practical for people with smaller suburban gardens :( Your place looks ideal..I am jealous :yes:
Last edited by Kyushu Danji on February 10th, 2011, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Elias »

Hi Bodhi,
I've always liked the Ginko biloba tree, I have a few that I'm trying to develop, but it is highly possible that a couple more lifetimes will be required to have anything decent as a bonsai specimen....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

All the ginko I saw in Japan were big trees at least 2 man lifts and all grown in the flame style which suits the foliage, I think this species is one which should be grown for future generations as to grow a good one would take at least 60 years probably more.
Craigw
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I agree Craig
I never went for the Ginko Bonsai Until I saw some real nice ones with large trunk. I have one from a garden nursery growing out in the yard. It may need more water and feed than I have given it but hasn't moved a great deal for me yet. Has a few wipper snipper scars so that could be interesting as it progresses :lol:

Oh I am a little scared by your 60 year estimate though I was hoping to have it in a bonsai pot at least before I die :fc:
Last edited by Bretts on February 10th, 2011, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Brett, my limited experience with ginko has taught me they don't like heavy pruning, the big old trees I saw in Japan did not have obvious scaring. I would guess they are slow grown in a pot but its only a guess.
Craigw
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

bodhidharma wrote:I was asked to post a pic of a Ginko that has had movement created in the trunk.I am not sure of their potential as a Bonsai and i have only seen them in their typical pose as a flame. I have heard one person say that if they had to keep only one tree from their collection it would be the Ginko. He had a picture of it in the book and it must be more impressive in the flesh and in its Autumn finery. Due to its SLOW growth habit it will be a long time before i see this trees potential (if it has any) This was defoliated this year and i think the leaves came back BIGGER. So if anyone else has any Ginkos they would like to contribute, that is in development, please feel free. I personally think good Ginko Bonsai's are quite few and far between. :cry:
Thanks Bodhi for the pics
Great to see your 'younger' collection as well as the older more established trees. I am considering trying a fusion of some of my stock to try and get some 'quick' thickness.... but have to be willing to risk some stock loss.

cheers

Stewart :tu:

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks Bodhi for the pics
Great to see your 'younger' collection as well as the older more established trees. I am considering trying a fusion of some of my stock to try and get some 'quick' thickness.... but have to be willing to risk some stock loss.
cheers

Stewart :tu:
[/quote]

I would like to see how that goes. Keep us posted.
Last edited by bodhidharma on February 10th, 2011, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Here are they ones that caught my eye on how good they can look from "The Best of Bonsai Euorpe #6"
010.jpg
012.jpg
014.jpg
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

They are some old collected (i'll bet) specimens and very striking. We will be long dead before we can achieve that Bretts. Still nothing from Australia though. Maybe we havent been around long enough. :roll:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I was hoping I could at least get a trunk of this size within 10 years :palm: I can understand 20 if it involves alot of chop and grow? Although I have given it little thought I would hope for sooner.

I can't say I have ever seen a good one in Australia :(
Maybe we should ask the international guys what they have done?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

I have had one in the ground for 8 years maybe 9 and the trunk has thickened slightly. :lol: Seriously though,for the time in the ground it has put on maybe 20-30mm very minimal growth.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by craigw60 »

Just accept it guys these trees are slow nothing can change that and it should never stop you growing them. The first tree you posted Brett would be collected I would like to see it in winter to asses the branch structure, the second has all the hallmarks of a Japanese tree I would say its an import and the third who knows.
They are all something to work towards
Craigw
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

Elias wrote:Hi Bodhi,
I've always liked the Ginko biloba tree, I have a few that I'm trying to develop, but it is highly possible that a couple more lifetimes will be required to have anything decent as a bonsai specimen....
Hey Elias

That is a lovely tree you've shown. Is that a branch or even a twin trunk from the lower right. I'd be chuffed to have this tree in my collection.

JJealous :mrgreen:

Stew

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

This is my oldest gingko. it has developed quite a nice nebari and lower trunk but the upper trunk still leaves room for improvement. It is still in a poly box waiting for the right pot to come up. Dimensions: 65 cm tall x 45 cm wide.
Gingko 1 2011 02 a.JPG
Winter view shows the trunk and branching
Gingko 1 2010 07 a.JPG
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”