Total re-do..large Honeysuckle, Lonicera Fragrantissima

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Total re-do..large Honeysuckle, Lonicera Fragrantissima

Post by Bretts »

Although it may be easy to think that a C and S shape are similar they are to me very different.

Although the trunk on Robert's drawing is definitely a C shape to me (even though most is hidden) It is not just the trunk we would be concerned about. As I have highlighted in red the C shape is even more pronounced by the foliage ends. Then we have an Apex that is back from the continued line, blue. Follow the trunk and where do your eyes want to go the branch or the apex. Your eye is drawn to the big circle of negative space in any event.
For this to be an S shape the apex would need to turn were I have indicated in green, and the tree tilted.
01142.jpg
Oh and yes your google pic search has one or two very nice C shape bonsai.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on January 22nd, 2013, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Steven wrote:Nice work finding not only the smallest tree within but the best one also!
Boics wrote:Great work and I too concur that these decisions has markedly improved this tree.
Shannon wrote:Fantastic old material Bodhi and like your new design.
Thanks Gentlemen, always encouraging to to get positive feedback. :tu:
Gerard wrote:It is great that somebody was brave enough to disagree with Bodhi's decision. It is easy to say "niCe" but not so easy to Criticize. Thanks Brett's for having the Courage to speak up. I am sure there will be lots of different opinions.
You betcha, this is the beauty of this site. Input that we might have overlooked or something we did not take into account and yes, lots of different opinions. :tu:
Bretts wrote:And yes I hope Bodi enjoys a little discussion on his tree.

LOVE the discussion on this tree Bretts. I am happy i have a tree worth discussing both positive and not so positive. Ultimately i am the guy who wears the responsibility of where this tree heads and i hope i do it well.
Webos wrote:Is this tree in the link a c shaped tree? If so, is it bad? I like it.
Yes, thanks for that link Adam. Thats a "C" shape and i like it also. Time will tell with this tree.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Bloody Brilliant Bodhi !!! :clap: Lucky they were Victorian Boys at your place the other night !!! ;)

Brett i dont think Robs drawing has any real relevance to bodhis tree. There are loads of great C trees out there. I do understand that a great tree could have been made from what was there, following the opposite flow as well. I also can see the straight bit that is accentuated by its new styling and how a lower leader will fix that. However in its current gease i think once a head of foliage is on and positioned with cunning, that plus the deadwood will be such powerful focal points that any remaining visible floor if any will be blown to oblivious. Lets wait and see ... Bodhi do me proud !!! :tu:
Last edited by anttal63 on January 22nd, 2013, 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Antonio:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Robert's drawing was simply to illustrate what the C talk was all about to those that had asked, it was not supposed to look like Bodi's tree. As Bodi's tree starts and finishes as a C this is easier to make look acceptable than a tree that has a C section included. But some considerations are the same such as leaving you no where to go and the balance.

Yes I can imagine a few ways to conceal the straight section but as the idea seems to be some what wind swept I would like to see what they have in mind?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Bretts wrote:Yes I can imagine a few ways to conceal the straight section but as the idea seems to be some what wind swept I would like to see what they have in mind?
It is always difficult to relate an idea and put in in print and it is always VERY difficult to get an idea from a hastily taken photo. I can now see it in my mind where this tree needs to go and it will be convincing. I could not get it clear in the beginning but there are two things straight away that are obvious (1..the top of the tree now does not compete with the base of the tree. (2..The simpler i can keep the top branching the more powerful the tree will become. If this tree has to many focal points the overall image ,or impact, will be reduced. The tree is all about the base and i will organise the branching to point to that and lead the viewers eye to it. This will be the harmony of the tree. Remember one important thing, we are viewing the tree now and not with the vision of another 5-10 years. When the branching first came off i went..OH NO.. but i have now grown very excited about its future. short, hugely ramified branches accenting a 500mm hugely carved base now that will be world class. But, hey, the tree might die tomorrow. :lol:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I am glad you are seeing ya way through Bodi. I agree with what you seem to say but I do reckon you will eventually come back to a leader/ Apex to balance it out in the future 8-)
I noticed this picture from earlier. Is there more dead wood now and I love how the live wood seems to sag down on the main trunk. This seems to be lost a bit, have you changed the front a bit?
DSCF3094.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Bretts wrote: Is there more dead wood now and I love how the live wood seems to sag down on the main trunk. This seems to be lost a bit, have you changed the front a bit?
The very large left hand root system withdrew its sap and now has only one live vein on the bottom. It doesnt appear to hurt the growth or health of the tree but it is old and i have know idea of life span for this tree. I suppose reality dictates that it could die, but, hopefully not on my watch :whistle: The tree is ever changing and doe it quickly.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Mate I really cant stop staring at this tree. Got it as my phone wallpaper haha.

You got any Honeysuckles with a sexy base ur willing to part with??

Thanks,
-Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Actually, i do. I have 3-4 in the ground and they will need to be dug and you will have to pay for the experience. :tu:
Tony Bebb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers/Pines
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Queensland Inc.

Post by Tony Bebb »

Bloody nice tree Bodhi :tu: Sensational trunk

Can I have one :?: ;)

Tony
Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein
Click here to visit my Blog - A Bonsai Journey
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

bodhidharma wrote:Actually, i do. I have 3-4 in the ground and they will need to be dug and you will have to pay for the experience. :tu:
Haha sounds good mate, looking forward to it. PM sent ;)
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi all you Bonsai nuts. I am back from my Retreat and raring to get stuck into my trees which have been growing madly. This is the first cab off the rank and i thought i would let you see the phenomenal growth this tree has put on. Remember, it was early February when the work was done and this is the growth in 2 months. You cant tell me feeding your trees daily doesnt work. :tu: A couple of days wiring and i will post it up.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Well, this took a while but is finally done. No carving at this stage as i dont want to rush it. I will now sit and look at it for a while. It needs more branching and i am not happy with the head of the tree and have left a little bobble on top and see if i can develop it from here. I had to Raffia and bend the back (or front) lower branch quite a bit. I dont like it with its foliage on but i will see how well it reduces over the next few years. The tree needs at least another five years to develop i reckon.
PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. :palm:
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

bodhidharma wrote:Well, this took a while but is finally done. No carving at this stage as i dont want to rush it. I will now sit and look at it for a while. It needs more branching and i am not happy with the head of the tree and have left a little bobble on top and see if i can develop it from here. I had to Raffia and bend the back (or front) lower branch quite a bit. I dont like it with its foliage on but i will see how well it reduces over the next few years. The tree needs at least another five years to develop i reckon.
PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. :palm:
Great work there D!

I agree the foliage does need to reduce as it currently doesn't match the tree very well. Having said that, deciduous trees are generally displayed in their Winter glory and this tree has some serious Winter glory.

Really can't wait till this winter =D PROMISE YOU'LL POST PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Beautifully imagined, and well done.

Thanks for posting.

Gavin

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”