Prunus dulcis..Almond in flower.

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Prunus dulcis..Almond in flower.

Post by bodhidharma »

Sorry i have been A.W.O.L and have not been contributing much of late. My world outside of Bonsai has become unbearably busy. Still, i cannot help but post my Almond which has excelled itself this year to make me happy i am a Bonsai Artist, and i smile every time i walk up to photograph it. Its story so far..It was collected five years ago from a back yard bulldoze at a friends place. Its height was 6-7 metres and very unhealthy from no attention whatsoever. We dug it with a backhoe and i reduced its height and placed it in a grow box. It zoomed back to life. With further height reduction i then ripped the tree in half with a couple of strong companions to alleviate the graft swell at its base. I then started to plan its design which i had given a lot of thought, and set in motion what you see now. It took four years to create the top main branches and the tree has rewarded me with flowers and also Almonds. The pot (which i had secured a while ago for another tree) was used for this tree at the suggestion of Quentin Valentine. The photos might be a little long winded but i wanted to show the changing moods of the tree during bud swell. Future plans will be to finish the carving and ramification of the branches which you see here. Patience, patience, patience. :whistle:
The trees dimensions are..Height 800mm width at base 160mm :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on August 11th, 2011, 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Re: Prunus dulcis..Almond in flower.

Post by kvan64 »

Wow, so beautiful! Not even a single leaf, all flowers. I just love it. Nice rock paving too. thanks for sharing Bodhi.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

G'day Kvan,
yes, i love how the tree flowers on bare wood. Also lightly perfumed, best of both worlds. :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hey Bodi
Nice display :tu:
I pinched a seed of almond from a tree down the street years ago and suprised to find it germinate. I ended up giving it away to a friend whose big tree in thier yard had died as I thought it would be no good for bonsai but recently saw an article on them in Bonsai Focus. Not sure how much use the article is but I will give it a read and see if it has any usefull info :?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

G'day Betts, flower display is tremendous and makes the Almond a good subject. I have had trouble with leaf reduction though. They look a bit shabby with their leaves on. I will work harder on it this year. :reading:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Hi Bodhi, actually it doesn't look too bad when in leaves. I have much bigger leaves on my peaches. I love almonds now :)
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
walko
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: chinese elm
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by walko »

hey bodhi, looks great in flower its a beautiful tree :tu:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

walko wrote:hey bodhi, looks great in flower its a beautiful tree :tu:
Thank you Walko :cool: I hope i get Almonds again this year.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bodhi , never would have given a thought to nuts but after seeing your tree , i would be inclined to give it a shot .Love the flowers , that is a very nice show . How long does it last in bloom ? .Have you tried defoliating or semi defoliating ?. Be very interested in getting my hands on a few .I know of some Yamadori Nuts , {small rounded marble size fruit} up this way regularly slashed , might take a closer look and give them a try .Thanks for posting . Cheers Alpine
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

alpineart wrote: How long does it last in bloom ? .Have you tried defoliating or semi defoliating ?.
G'day Alpine,
the tree leads up to flowering for about 6 weeks which in itself is quite attractive. It usually holds its flowers for 3-4 weeks(with care, taking it out of winds etc) but this year i think they will hold a little longer. With our wet Winter again everything seems a little more intense, perfumes and flowers are somehow more accentuated. No defoliation as yet but probably this Summer. :tu2:
Last edited by bodhidharma on August 12th, 2011, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

My Almond has again given me pleasure and put a smile on my face :D I pruned it after its last flowering to get backbudding and better structure in its branching and it has rewarded me with two more branches to play with. It is a little difficult to get ramification on this tree so has to be cut back hard. Once the branches extend more it will be a stunning picture. Sorry for the picture location but i cannot shift anything with a broken ankle :(
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: A realy good one :D

Post by Olivecrazy »

Hi there found this post the other day an was hoping to see a update on its progress :tu: do you have any tips on using almonds as bonsai as ive just collected one
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thankyou, I am impressed with the simplistic but still elegant styling. A large tree done very well.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter Hobbs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: BSQ and CBS

Post by Peter Hobbs »

So beautiful :cool:
“Don’t only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Olivecrazy wrote: do you have any tips on using almonds as bonsai as ive just collected one
A very rewarding tree O.C. What i know about them is that they grow well but if you are not ruthless in your pruning habits the get long extended branches with long gaps between your secondary's. Be prepared to cut. :tu:
Watto wrote:Thankyou, I am impressed with the simplistic but still elegant styling. A large tree done very well.
Thanks Watto, i am looking forward to when the branches are longer and more ramified.
topiarius wrote:So beautiful
:cool: Thanks.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”