Coastal Tea Tree design

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Coastal Tea Tree design

Post by treeman »

jarryd wrote:A real shame to here of your losses. These are really great stock material! super fun. Do you think it would be possible to achieve a similar result with a few extra years in a pot and reduce the risk of collecting them from grow beds.
Definitely. I'm going to trial a different system. That is - to leave them in the pots but place the pots on a growing bed and allow some roots to escape. That way when I cut off the escapees I know I have some root fibre still in captivity. :D
Mike
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

treeman wrote: Definitely. I'm going to trial a different system. That is - to leave them in the pots but place the pots on a growing bed and allow some roots to escape. That way when I cut off the escapees I know I have some root fibre still in captivity. :D
I use this method with every piece of material I grow. I usually only let things grow 2 or 3 seasons from when the roots take hold in the ground. I've never had a problem with any of them this way.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Great material.
I treat with caution when root pruning l. Laevigatum.
I too lost one with what u would consider "normal" pruning.
I've better luck with my current.. :fc:
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

This is a brilliant thread. I am currently doing a few searches of the forum while on holiday ... prompted by a desire to understand more and the current native competition, I am looking to continue to learn more and apply knowledge. Threads like this are gold - pure gold.

Thanks Grant, Mike, Rory and others. I am a bit worried about potting up my new seedlings now ... yeah, ridiculous for me to be taking about worrying about seedlings when you folk are dealing with advanced stock but hey - we’re all in different phases of the art. :-)

I would also like to point out Grant’s tree at the start of this thread. Check it out. A new favourite Bonsai. :-) Wow!

I then realised I was lucky enough to see it at the National collection.
IMG_4675.jpg
Bloody good tree; bloody good thread.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mark

Bonsai teaches me patience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend with a bit of time in the garden like myself. I'm Planning on getting one of my LL into a shallow bonsai pot for its first time.

Can anyone say if it is too late in the season to do this (In Melbourne, inner west)? Buds are still moving, and the tree can be positioned in either full sun or shade with a water tray. Tree is currently in a 150mm Orchid pot, with the intention of moving to a shallow 130mm bonsai pot.

If no good now I have no issue with waiting until later in the year, survival is priority for me.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on February 16th, 2019, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Pearcy001 wrote:Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend with a bit of time in the garden like myself. I'm Planning on getting one of my LL into a shallow bonsai pot for its first time.

Can anyone say if it is too late in the season to do this (In Melbourne, inner west)? Buds are still moving, and the tree can be positioned in either full sun or shade with a water tray. Tree is currently in a 150mm Orchid pot, with the intention of moving to a shallow 130mm bonsai pot.

If no good now I have no issue with waiting until later in the year, survival is priority for me.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I don't think a shallow pot suits this species. I would lean toward a medium depth pot myself. (same as you would use for juniper) As for timing, give it another month for safety but if absolutely must......
Mike
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

I think I"ve mentioned in this thread before.
Don't push too far root-pruning and reducing root balls.
I understand that after a few reductions one is a little safer with LL but I err on the side of caution with this fantastic species.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”