Bonsai design

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Re: Bonsai design

Post by Andrew F »

I love this.

Truth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Truth »

Treeman, i'm interested to see what you think of these 2 Japanese Maples that were posted on bonsainut earlier.
DSC_00141.JPG
Whilst slender and not squat and grotesque in any form, the movement may be considered artificial in that it curves too aggressively and dynamically to be seen in nature, more so than the most exaggerated forms of trees you'll observe.

Also what do you think of the 2nd trunk that extends so far laterally rather than reaching up for the light in the tree closest to us in the photo?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Truth wrote:Treeman, i'm interested to see what you think of these 2 Japanese Maples that were posted on bonsainut earlier.
DSC_00141.JPG
Whilst slender and not squat and grotesque in any form, the movement may be considered artificial in that it curves too aggressively and dynamically to be seen in nature, more so than the most exaggerated forms of trees you'll observe.

Also what do you think of the 2nd trunk that extends so far laterally rather than reaching up for the light in the tree closest to us in the photo?
Truth, I find both of these trees acceptable. Although the exaggerated movement is not that common in natural trees it does occur (see the first pic of the pine above) I think it's worth remembering that in bonsai we usually strive to create idealized forms not necessarily common natural forms. While at the same time (hopefully) trying to adhere to naturalness and so even if a particular form may be rare in nature, it is usually these forms which inspire us the most so to me it's ok. I think the branches on this tree are a bit long for the trunk thickness but that's really no big deal. Keep in mind also that as trees age, what would normally be considered a strong curve can virtually disappear!

The lower trunk. Many people would instinctively remove this trunk. That would be ok but you would be left with a more conventional tree. It sometimes happens that a semi-mature tree will for some reason throw up a very low branch or secondary trunk from near the roots. If there is an established canopy above it, it has no choice but to either grow out horizontally toward the light or die off. Had this second trunk been the same thickness (therefore age) of the main one the current angle would be incorrect as it would have developed together with the main one and should be upright as well.
However, it's thickness is similar to the branches so I think it's angle is appropriate.

Thanks for taking an interest in this subject. Keep them coming!!
Mike

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”