Melaeuca cuticularis

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Maddog79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Melaeuca cuticularis

Post by Maddog79 »

Awesome pic Boics!
I've just got back to Brisbane from a week on the Mornington Peninsula (10 rounds of golf in 8 Days! including the course in the pic above) A truly amazing part of the world & inspiring trees at every turn. The ones in that shot (Melaleuca Lanceolata?) were a particularly impressive & I would love to have a go at.
Any ideas on how these would handle Brisbane growing climate & where/how they could be obtained?
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

treeman wrote:
Rory wrote:Lovely pictures guys. Though I've gone off Mels now.... the myrtle rust is just too damn painful around here. :palm: I thought I was on top of it, but the disease is just relentless, and I prefer to put my efforts into a tree that is resistant. But they would certainly be one of my favourite natives. I'll try and keep the Mels I have in reasonable health, but the Mels and the Callistemons just get the crap beaten out of them by this disease constantly.
Well that's no good at all! Have you tried chemical solutions? What is it affecting?
Myrtle rust loves damp conditions with minimal sun. Therefore its like a resort for the rust at the back of my property. If it has been constantly sunny for a week you tend to not see it form, and get a reprieve. But if you have lots of moisture and cloud, it often grabs hold. The best treatment is triforine, but this can really set back the trees growth after it has been applied and has killed a lot of my Angophora. The first thing it strikes with fury is the Melalueca. The callistemon would be next, then the eucs. The eucs have a better natural resistance to it and can produce growth faster than the disease can get hold, and it doesn't seem to be able to spread as fast on the eucs as it does the mels and the callistemons. But the damage it does to the leaves on mels and callistemons is far worse than the eucs.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

treeman wrote:
Boics wrote:Good to see you turning the corner in your appreciation for our native's Treeman!
There are some good ones about!

I've said it before and ill say it again Melaleuca Lanceolata is a beauty as well:

Apparently slow growing but clearly worth it!

more images from source here: http://www.golfimages.com.au/golf-cours ... nah-course
I've always appreciated them. I've just never been ''bitten'' till just recently. The growth habit and texture of the lanceolata looks very similar to leptospermum laevigatum! I like it.
Any excuse to post this pic again :tu:
That trunk, the way it resembles a neagari style that has fused together, just wonderful.

Boics,
I wonder if my love of golf or having lived on the Mornington Peninsula as a kid subconsciously led me to bonsai?

Cheers,
Mojo
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on April 17th, 2016, 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Rory wrote:
treeman wrote:
Rory wrote:Lovely pictures guys. Though I've gone off Mels now.... the myrtle rust is just too damn painful around here. :palm: I thought I was on top of it, but the disease is just relentless, and I prefer to put my efforts into a tree that is resistant. But they would certainly be one of my favourite natives. I'll try and keep the Mels I have in reasonable health, but the Mels and the Callistemons just get the crap beaten out of them by this disease constantly.
Well that's no good at all! Have you tried chemical solutions? What is it affecting?
Myrtle rust loves damp conditions with minimal sun. Therefore its like a resort for the rust at the back of my property. If it has been constantly sunny for a week you tend to not see it form, and get a reprieve. But if you have lots of moisture and cloud, it often grabs hold. The best treatment is triforine, but this can really set back the trees growth after it has been applied and has killed a lot of my Angophora. The first thing it strikes with fury is the Melalueca. The callistemon would be next, then the eucs. The eucs have a better natural resistance to it and can produce growth faster than the disease can get hold, and it doesn't seem to be able to spread as fast on the eucs as it does the mels and the callistemons. But the damage it does to the leaves on mels and callistemons is far worse than the eucs.
Interesting. What is the most prolific time of the year for infection? My summers are quite dry and sunny but winters here can be very foggy and damp for weeks at a time!
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

[quote="Mojo Moyogi"]
Any excuse to post this pic again :tu:
That trunk, the way it resembles a neagari style that has fused together, just wonderful.

Here's another lanceolata

I'm finding hard to work out exactly what's going on to give this formation. :lost: But it looks tremendous.
ml1.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Found this on the NSW department of primary industries site.
Myrtle rust spores require darkness, moisture and temperatures of 15–25°C to germinate. The first symptoms become visible within 3−5 days of initial infection. The new pustules can mature to release spores in 10–12 days. Spores can remain viable for up to three months.
So you should be ok Mike
Last edited by dansai on April 17th, 2016, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”