Eucalyptus / Melaleuca from WA holiday

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Eucalyptus / Melaleuca from WA holiday

Post by Rory »

We had a wonderful holiday in WA. They have some amazing Eucs out in the outback, and when I say outback, I mean....outback. A place near trayning, where my relatives farm wheat.

I'll have to wait till I upload the pics from my wifes phone for those trees out there, but here are some of the stunning Mels and Eucs from between Perth and Augusta.

This pic shows a beautiful Euc standing near my Aunties farmhouse.
038.jpg

Another beautiful Euc with my daughter wanting to chase the chickens again.
040.jpg

We will have to buy her a shaun the sheep soft toy. She loved them.
042.jpg

A multi trunked Euc just growing everywhere.
048.jpg

By chance, we were in Toodyay for their festival celebrating a convict. It was a lovely country town.
073.jpg

Amazing Mels at a small fun park somewhere near the Swan Valley.
116.jpg

Amazing Mels at a small fun park somewhere near the Swan Valley.
134.jpg

This is near the entrance to the Yallingup Maze Park, towards the Margaret River. It is 2 trees grown towards each other, and then the growth has gone straight up.
291.jpg

This is possibly the most intriguing naturally formed Eucalyptus I have ever seen. It is just off the road, on the entrance to Eagle Bay Brewery, near Dunsborough. It is simply striking. It leans up and across, then over, and down.
304.jpg

This is possibly the most intriguing naturally formed Eucalyptus I have ever seen. It is just off the road, on the entrance to Eagle Bay Brewery, near Dunsborough. It is simply striking. It leans up and across, then over, and down.
307.jpg

I jumped the fence and took quite a few pictures of it. One day I might try to grow a Euc like this. The foliage goes right down to touch the ground. It was lovely.
316.jpg

I jumped the fence and took quite a few pictures of it. One day I might try to grow a Euc like this. The foliage goes right down to touch the ground. It was lovely.
319.jpg

Another lovely Euc at the Eagle Bay Brewery. By the way, their beer is really good.
325.jpg

However, in Dunsborough, there exists the best beer on tap I have ever had. It was voted 6th best craft beer house in Australia last year apparently. I now know why. They have a beer from Denmark, WA on tap, which is a wheat beer like the belgium beers. It is to die for. They also sold a Japanese wheat beer, which was $18.50 a pint, but the 2nd best beer I've ever had, after the Denmark beer.
410.jpg

A beautiful Euc, standing alone in a farm, along the Caves Road, towards Augusta.
416.jpg

The Karri forest of trees, along Caves Road, towards Augusta. It is so beautiful, you have to stop the car and look, it is like an enchanted forest. But if you blink, you'll miss it if you are driving.
426.jpg

Jewel Cave... WOW! Amazing. My kids loved it. You must do it, if you are out that way, or even if you live in Perth. Go for a long drive. They found the bones of Tasmanian tigers that had fallen into the cave over the years when they discovered the cave so long ago.
439.jpg

It is big, and so beautiful.
460.jpg

My family, enjoying a few pints at an Irish Pub, in the Novotel in Perth. It was like they were expecting us, they had an irish band playing, and irish tap girls came out and put on a show for us....awesome.
479.jpg

Oh, and if you like beer and you live in Perth or near there....Go to the swan brewery, near Kings Park. WOW! WOW! This is the best brewery I have ever been to, as the range of their beer was just phenomenal. No one particular beer was the best, but the fact that they have so many fantastic beers they make there, makes it such a great day. The food is pricey, but so good.
525.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Eucalyptus / Melaleuca from WA holiday

Post by Pup »

If you had made contact could have taken you to collect small ones to take back. Ahh well

Cheers Pup :palm:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Pup wrote:If you had made contact could have taken you to collect small ones to take back. Ahh well

What Beers or Mels? Either woud have been good for Rory to bring :-)

Looked like a nice trip Rory. Love the tree pics :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Pup wrote:If you had made contact could have taken you to collect small ones to take back. Ahh well

Thanks for the offer Pup. Next time I'll look you up for sure. The only time we looked at anything bonsai related, was when we went passed a bonsai nursery going out to the Swan Valley I think it was, but they were closed on the day we drove past by chance. I think it was a Monday or Tuesday :no:

My mels are not loving the myrtle rust we get here, but the Eucs are much more resistant. They grow spectacularly in your state though. :D
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”