Poinciana

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Poinciana

Post by Marc »

What a nice tree. I was in Maroochydoor in QLD a few weeks ago and these were in bloom everywhere, they are magnificent. Dark green foliage, bright red/orange/crimson flowers, just magnificent. A few places on line confirm they love the tropics. I live in Melbourne, not tropical at all.

Can anyone advise if they have attempted one of these? I will give it a go, always up for a try. But so far i can't find any for sale in shops, i'm look at regular nurseries, i'll keep looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: Poinciana

Post by Jon Chown »

Marc, there are two verities of this tree and if you wish to attempt one look for the dwarf veriety. I think that you would treat them similar to a Jacaranda.

Jon
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Marc »

oky doke, thanks mate. But Jacaranda.... i've attempting two at the moment and not sure how well I will go. Thirsty buggers they are!! They love the sun, so I keep them in the sun, then they dry out at the drop of a hat. We'll see what the future holds for them.

But I will look for the dwarf, thanks.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Marc,

I have been 'growing' one for the past 5 years which was brought south from Brisbane. It grows very well though the leaves are compound hence overly large. Not a huge issue if you let it grow into a large tree, say 80-100cm however every winter the branches die back and I am left with an oversized stump. It reshoots well enough in spring from the trunk however all side branches that I have induced it to grow die off. Had it growing under cover last winter to no avail. If you have any ideas on how to maintain the branches over winter I am all ears.

Edward :D
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Marc »

G'day Edward, thanks. Actually I haven't got one yet. I've been looking, casually, around the garden shops, but no luck yet. I've got a few jacaranda and they are difficult to look after, i find them very thirsty and i think you are right in that they need to be a largish bonsai to build a good specimen. I pinch back regualrly, they seem healthy enough, but I get a lot fo branch die back...

But, I'll keep looking for my poinciana, and if i find one i'll let yooze know.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Marc,

My poinciana was brought to Sydney from Brisbane. I have never seen one in any of the local nurseries. Good luck in your search.
I also have a jacaranda and you're right, they are thirsty! It used to wilt every hot day (anything above 30) yet if you keep the water up to it it doesn't miss a beat. We have had quite a few days near or over 40 degrees in Sydney during January and it has coped very well. Mind you I now leave it sitting in a shallow tray of water during the hotter days. If you allow 5-6 pairs of leaves to grow before trimming to 1-2 pairs the branch copes OK other wise they tend to drop off! :(

Regards Edward
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Hey Edward, would you care to share a photo of yours with us please.

Jon
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Jon,

A few pics of my jacaranda. I bought it as a starter 4-5 years ago. The bottom branch is coming along nicely and there is a small branch on the leader which starts at the same level as the top of the lowest branch (I hope that makes sense :? ) I don't think it shows well in the pics. I broke off a few leaves to better show the bottom branch structure. There are some nice roots happening though I'm not too keen on that large root on the left. It tends to dominate. I hope to encourage some finer roots to grow from it next spring and shorten by half. I am allowing the leader to grow for another year or two to thicken it up then I will chop it back and hopefully have a pretty cool looking tree. It should be about 80cm tall when finished.
That's the plan. I'd love to hear any ideas or comments that you have.

Edward
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”