A styling option for olives.

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

A styling option for olives.

Post by Asus101 »

The ullastre is a wild olive, not a cultivated olive tree, and the models that we use to make bonsai are adopting this kind of wild growth. And as you can see here, the ullastre looks more like a juniper than a typical olive tree.
In the mountains of Mallorca after the Catalan conquest in the XIII century, Ullastre forests began to be grafted with varieties of productive olive. Unlike elsewhere, the graft was done in the upper trunk. Thus what we can see here, are Ullastres trunks, not olive.

http://www.bonsaimenorca.com/index.php/ ... y2/gid,14/

**Posted at the IBF by Antoni Payeras
What we collect here are the cultivated olive, not a true wild olive.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: A styling option for olives.

Post by anttal63 »

when an olive is grown from seed it is considered a wild olive. it needs to have a cultivated variety grafted on in order to produce a desired olive. the chances of a seed producing a replica of its parent are fairly slim as with all trees grown from seed. im yet to see that happen. i come from an italian background where olives are a big part of our diet. over the years many seeds were thrown in to the garden and many olive tree's sprouted. always wild. the wild foliage is always smaller and so is the fruit. it is the small fruit that was once not commercially accepted but now is coming into vogue again. my father grafted many wild olives in order to produce a particular olive. :D

so how does this tie in with the heading "a styling option for olives. :?
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

anttal63 wrote: so how does this tie in with the heading "a styling option for olives. :?
Because we style olives like pines..
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Asus101 wrote:
anttal63 wrote: so how does this tie in with the heading "a styling option for olives. :?
Because we style olives like pines..
i see and to an extent i agree with you. :o :shock: well ace you get those olives of yours into action and showm how its done. lead the way pal. :D as you know i recently styled an olive inspired by marco invernizzi's words, " the olives on the coastal cliffs of majorca spain, grow like pines. you would not believe it unless you see it with your own eyes". other wise the rest of my olives im attempting to get as naturalistic as possible, according to some very old olives i have seen in person in the south of italy and here. difference being they're not as old here. but at the end of the day what ever floats our boat, the stand out trees will be there in the end. :D
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

anttal63 wrote: well ace
Its Asus.... no C, no E...

my olives are going fine, they have started growing, and branches are being selected... Can not rush time.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

From the online dictionary ...

wild (wld) KEY

ADJECTIVE:
wild·er , wild·est
Occurring, growing, or living in a natural state; not domesticated, cultivated, or tamed: wild geese; edible wild plants. Not inhabited or farmed: remote, wild country.
Uncivilized or barbarous; savage.

Lacking supervision or restraint: wild children living in the street.
Disorderly; unruly: a wild scene in the school cafeteria.
Characterized by a lack of moral restraint; dissolute or licentious: recalled his wild youth with remorse.
Lacking regular order or arrangment; disarranged: wild locks of long hair.
Full of, marked by, or suggestive of strong, uncontrolled emotion: wild with jealousy; a wild look in his eye; a wild rage.
Extravagant; fantastic: a wild idea.
Furiously disturbed or turbulent; stormy: wild weather.
Risky; imprudent: wild financial schemes.

Impatiently eager: wild to get away for the weekend.
Informal Highly enthusiastic: just wild about the new music.
Based on little or no evidence or probability; unfounded: wild accusations; a wild guess.
Deviating greatly from an intended course; erratic: a wild bullet.
Games Having an equivalence or value determined by the cardholder's choice: playing poker with deuces wild.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Dont be a smarty pants ozzy, or I'll follow you around next dig and steal your tree's.

I cant belive that noone has actually commented on the tree's themselves. They are great inspiration, and are very different to anything we have here.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Asus - Mate!

Those trees are awesome! :mrgreen:

What great inspiration for carving! I have a couple of crabapple that would lend themselves very well to a bit of carving to give this effect. I need to get some pics.

Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by ozzy »

Asus101 wrote:Dont be a smarty pants ozzy, or I'll follow you around next dig and steal your tree's.

I cant belive that noone has actually commented on the tree's themselves. They are great inspiration, and are very different to anything we have here.

Maybe different to anything you've seen here but I've seen stuff like that in a couple of places, pretty rare but its around, usually too big to bonsai, certainly not as good as those but definately similiar with copius amounts of driftwood and overlapping live tissue, ... you need to get out more. :D
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

ozzy wrote:
Asus101 wrote:Dont be a smarty pants ozzy, or I'll follow you around next dig and steal your tree's.

Maybe different to anything you've seen here but I've seen stuff like that in a couple of places, pretty rare but its around, usually too big to bonsai, certainly not as good as those but definately similiar with copius amounts of driftwood and overlapping live tissue, ... you need to get out more. :D
Im going to have to beg you to take me out digging. How many days nagging will it take to break you?
One thing I have noticed locally, is many olives that are potted high.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by ozzy »

Asus101 wrote: Im going to have to beg you to take me out digging. How many days nagging will it take to break you?

Well you need to understand when I take people out digging I never go to spot X. :D
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Asus101 wrote: I cant belive that noone has actually commented on the tree's themselves. They are great inspiration, and are very different to anything we have here.
ITS CALLED AGE LOADS OF IT. :D asus
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”