Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Ash eWorkshop

Post by Steven »

G'day,

We have had 15 applications submitted into the Ash eWorkshop and will be making an announcement about those accepted in the near future. As Grant is currently single handed holding the fort together at the National Bonsai and Penjing Collection, the announcement will be delayed until tonight or tomorrow.

Following in alphabetical order are the 15 applicants:
Bodhidharma 1.jpg
Bodhidharma 2.jpg
Bodhidharma 3.jpg
Boics.jpg
boom64.jpg
bouquet.jpg
Haydenmc.jpg
Josh.jpg
Joy 1.jpg
Joy 2.jpg
Kerry.jpg
Kerry 2.jpg
MattA.jpg
soda.jpg
Watto.jpg
After the announcement, this thread will be locked to general comments with only the eWorkshop participants being able to make posts.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support with our first eWorkshop and depending on the success and level of interest we may have more in the future. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

A very special thank you to Grant for generously giving his time and expertise to help us all learn, improve our skills and understanding of Fraxinus as bonsai. :tu:

Regards,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the entries in the Ash eWorkshop. They all have potential but for the purpose of this workshop I would like to select the following trees to participate. I have chosen those trees which I think will give the best result in the shortest time and highlight the various styles and techniques applicable to the Desert ash or Fraxinus angustifolia.

1. Bodhidharma 1
2. HaydenMC
3. Joy1
4. Kerry1
5. Soda
6. Josh (After seeing the tree naked and right way up) if Josh wishes. (Not quite a broom style but chunky deciduous style)

I have also chosen the two small trees from Bodhidharma and Joy; as they are small, quick and cute but will give good techniques.

7. Bodhidharma 2
8. Joy2

And I would like to have a further look at the other tree by Kerry and give some advice if he is willing to prepare it a bit and photograph etc.

9. Kerry2

I am also happy to give some hopefully constructive comments on the other trees submitted.

I will give the first specific instructions/suggestions for the workshop over the next few days but it will involve tidying up around the base of the tree, and for those trees that can be easily photographed (as is) to take as many photos as possible from various angles.

Grant
soda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The last one i killed :-(
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by soda »

woot hoo, excited to be on board! Will this be run through this thread, individual threads? by emails for pics?

Thanks Grant and Steven, another great ausbonsai initiative/offering.
Last edited by soda on June 12th, 2013, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

soda wrote:woot hoo, excited to be on board! Will this be run through this thread, individual threads? by emails for pics?

Thanks Grant and Steven, another great ausbonsai initiative/offering.
I believe it will be run through this thread.

Only those who have entered trees initially and then once we get started only those with trees selected will be able to respond to this thread.

We will do the pics on this thread for everyone to see the trees, the advice, action and results.

grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Wow, awesome. I feel very privileged to have a tree chosen. Looking forward to working on this tree with you.

Josh.
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

Post by Kerry »

It is very exciting to have a tree chosen to participate in this eWorkshop can't wait to get started.
I am also very happy to do whatever is required to tree no 2 so that I can get direction on how to deal with the challenges that this tree presents.
Just to note that I will be flying to Newcastle today and returning on Tuesday so will not be able to reply to any posted instructions until then.

Grant & Steven thanks for the effort you have put in to get this project off the ground.
Bst Rgds Kerry
けり
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Thanks Steven & Grant for the opportunity to have been involved. Congratulations to those who have been selected, I look forward to seeing all of the trees involved progress over the course of the workshop & on into the future. While not participating in the workshop I hope to learn all I can from it to apply during the development of my own tree.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
bouquet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by bouquet »

+1for me. Well said MattA
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I'm devestated :whistle:

Knew all these more suitable candidates would come out of the woodwork!

No dramas I see a bright future for my piddly little tree and look forward to sharing my progress with the guidance of this thread anyway.

Cheers,
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bouquet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bouquet »

Yes I do hope that information that is shared with the choosen ones will also be available for the not so choosen :). I'd still like to follow this workshop and apply techniques to my own tree.

Maybe at the end those that didn't get a gig could also show how their trees look after following this thread.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

bouquet wrote:Yes I do hope that information that is shared with the choosen ones will also be available for the not so choosen :). I'd still like to follow this workshop and apply techniques to my own tree.

Maybe at the end those that didn't get a gig could also show how their trees look after following this thread.
Good idea bouquet. Still a lot could be learnt just following the thread. Would be interesting to see how the trees turn out.

Josh.
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, quince ....most things really
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Haydenmc »

Thanks Grant,

Looking forward to getting started.
I have ended up slip potting into some of my standard soil mix, after I was watering and watching it all just run off the top.
There was no root disturbance and the tree is safely wired into a new poly box, I'm much happier now knowing its not sitting in what was essentially clay.

Thanks again

Hayden
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bouquet wrote:Yes I do hope that information that is shared with the choosen ones will also be available for the not so choosen :). I'd still like to follow this workshop and apply techniques to my own tree.

Good idea.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all,

I will be working at the Arboretum tomorrow but will then have the next 3 days off.(Sunday, Monday and Tuesday)

In between wiring and posting pics of my other two hawthorns I will start the eWorkshop on Ash. I will offer specific advice on each tree (including those not chosen) and then concentrate on the selected trees.

Grant
bouquet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bouquet »

Grant

Just to confirm, will the information provided to those personnel choosen still be available/read by those not so we can still apply/follow the workshop techniques just not be able to comment in the thread.

Regards

Mark

Return to “eWorkshops”