bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

[Bodhidharma] E workshop Ash.

Post by bodhidharma »

Sorry for the delay on these but i have contacted Grant re my situation. Here is my first Ash. A large Desert Ash at 700mm by 180 at the base. As a suggestion, the left heavy branch halfway up the tree needs to come off and then go from there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: [Bodhidharma] E workshop Ash.

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:Sorry for the delay on these but i have contacted Grant re my situation. Here is my first Ash. A large Desert Ash at 700mm by 180 at the base. As a suggestion, the left heavy branch halfway up the tree needs to come off and then go from there?
OK,

Two or three major ways to go with this one.

1. Remove the offending branch(either completely back to the trunk or back to the small portion of the branch growing under the heavy portion) and then wire everything dramatically down.

or
2. Keep all the branches as is; slightly shorten those on the right hand side and to the rear but allow the ones on the left hand side to become longer and more dominant.(slightly shorten the thick branch on the left to give the ones below it more chance to grow.)

or
3. Shorten the thick left hand branch but allow it to form a secondary high apex.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Grant Bowie wrote:
bodhidharma wrote:Sorry for the delay on these but i have contacted Grant re my situation. Here is my first Ash. A large Desert Ash at 700mm by 180 at the base. As a suggestion, the left heavy branch halfway up the tree needs to come off and then go from there?
OK,

Two or three major ways to go with this one.

1. Remove the offending branch(either completely back to the trunk or back to the small portion of the branch growing under the heavy portion) and then wire everything dramatically down.

or
2. Keep all the branches as is; slightly shorten those on the right hand side and to the rear but allow the ones on the left hand side to become longer and more dominant.(slightly shorten the thick branch on the left to give the ones below it more chance to grow.)

or
3. Shorten the thick left hand branch but allow it to form a secondary high apex.

Grant
Hi bodi,

Just checking if you did some work on this tree?

Grant
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Sorry but, no, i will get to it this week or the next. I am that busy with defoliating and re-wiring as i have fallen behind, and i mean way behind. :palm: The other Ash has been sold as i had an offer i could not refuse. We had lots (read 20 or so) people staying or visiting over the last three weeks and we had a lot of catching up to do. And not a single Bonsai enthusiast amongst the lot. :( I have just wired an Elm i am posting and that took a whole day.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:Sorry but, no, i will get to it this week or the next. I am that busy with defoliating and re-wiring as i have fallen behind, and i mean way behind. :palm: The other Ash has been sold as i had an offer i could not refuse. We had lots (read 20 or so) people staying or visiting over the last three weeks and we had a lot of catching up to do. And not a single Bonsai enthusiast amongst the lot. :( I have just wired an Elm i am posting and that took a whole day.
No worries,

Just checking.

Grant

Return to “eWorkshops”