[360°] Green Five needle pine at the NBPCA

The revolutionary way to view bonsai online.
Click here to visit ausbonsai 360° and start the new viewing experience...
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Re: [360°] Green Five needle pine at the NBPCA

Post by jarryd »

Grant you and Leigh have done excellent work on this tree, once it fills in a little more it will be a stunner.

constructive citicism i have of the design so far

- the crossing root front left of the nebari, it is a very dominant root and my eye snags on it every time i veiw this tree, it appears to ruin the flow of the nebari which all seems to originate from a lower section of the trunk. So it appears out of proportion and stands out due to its position and direction (you may just be keeping it horticultural purposes?)

- the lower right hand branch, i can understand the reason it is still there, i mean once its gone it is gone...... however, removing this branch entirely (no jin) would benefit the image of the tree. The branch is sending the whole image out of balance, it originates very low and on the inside of the curve, im not highly formal in regards to stylistic principles however these rules are a guideline to create flow and balance. This branch again is a snag in the flow, being the primary branch straying from these guidelines has a very profound impact, which resonates throughout the tree, it effects the second branch most predominantly. In an attempt to create asymetry and unify this branch into the design another disruption to the flow has occured. The left hand branch is now and angled bar branch with the primary branch, this also causes the right hand branch to be a trend breaker (going against the flow of branches) dirupting the harmony of the composition.

my proposal is to remove this branch and lower the left hand branch to return the asymetry. The new first right hand branch should also then be lowered slightly to fill a small portion of the space left from the ex-primary left branch. In my opinion this will greatly benefit the tree as a whole whilst not removing its low broad canopy.

just my two cents
regards jarryd
Last edited by jarryd on July 1st, 2010, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

jarryd wrote:Grant you and Leigh have done excellent work on this tree, once it fills in a little more it will be a stunner.

constructive citicism i have of the design so far

- the crossing root front left of the nebari, it is a very dominant root and my eye snags on it every time i veiw this tree, it appears to ruin the flow of the nebari which all seems to originate from a lower section of the trunk. So it appears out of proportion and stands out due to its position and direction (you may just be keeping it horticultural purposes?)

- the lower right hand branch, i can understand the reason it is still there, i mean once its gone it is gone...... however, removing this branch entirely (no jin) would benefit the image of the tree. The branch is sending the whole image out of balance, it originates very low and on the inside of the curve, im not highly formal in regards to stylistic principles however these rules are a guideline to create flow and balance. This branch again is a snag in the flow, being the primary branch straying from these guidelines has a very profound impact, which resonates throughout the tree, it effects the second branch most predominantly. In an attempt to create asymetry and unify this branch into the design another disruption to the flow has occured. The left hand branch is now and angled bar branch with the primary branch, this also causes the right hand branch to be a trend breaker (going against the flow of branches) dirupting the harmony of the composition.

my proposal is to remove this branch and lower the left hand branch to return the asymetry. The new first right hand branch should also then be lowered slightly to fill a small portion of the space left from the ex-primary left branch. In my opinion this will greatly benefit the tree as a whole whilst not removing its low broad canopy.

just my two cents
regards jarryd
Point 1. The root. Yes it is a worry and will probably be removed in autumn next year when we explore the roots thoroughly and repot it; after lots of spring growth and consolidation.

Point 2. We have left all and as many branches as the tree can handle for the moment. This will guarantee its survival and encourage fine new growth by having as many growing points as possible for a few years. In about two or three years time a number of the branches will be shortened dramatically (you can't see in the photo how many long and elongated branches we have manipulated into place to give us a pleasing outline. Therer are however some short internal branches that we will nuture) This will then give us a great skeleton to rework the tree.
We debated early on whether to remove or leave this branch and decided to keep it(At least for the moment). It would leave a large scar to heal for many years whether we do it now or decide to do it in the future.

Thanks for your input and suggestions! We do value opinions!

Leigh and I were just saying to each other yesterday how little chatter/feedback we get on the more advanced trees! Maybe people think we will get offended or maybe we have scared them off?

Grant
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

good to see care being taken for the health of the tree, in the hands of you two im sure this tree will become something special. If it all becomes to much for the collection ill hapily take it off your hands :lol:
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NBPCA

Post by NBPCA »

jarryd wrote:good to see care being taken for the health of the tree, in the hands of you two im sure this tree will become something special. If it all becomes to much for the collection ill hapily take it off your hands :lol:
Stand in line! This will eventually become something special.

Grant
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Nice job the tree is looking beautiful. I agree with Jarryd about that root though its a bit of a blot on the landscape.
I also agree with you keeping all the branches for the time being, the tree has a long life ahead of it plenty of time for more branch thinning down the track.
Craig
NBPCA

Post by NBPCA »

Hi all,

Here is the tree at the end of work yesterday.

We will lightly pot up the tree into an appropriate pot without disturbing the roots too much around the end of August. If all goes as expected we will do a proper repot and explore roots in March/April next year.

This tree will not be on display to the public for a year or two. Remember this was a special treat for the members of the AusBonsai website only!
Five Needle Pine3 - SG - 2010-7-2 - 800x600.jpg
Re branching. In my opinion it doesn't matter where branching comes from if it achieves the desired result. Many/most kokufu winning trees and/or any really good bonsai will have branches coming from anywhere. It is OK to teach left right back left right back left font right back but in practice it is much different with advanced bonsai. Its how you pull it off and not whether it adheres to a tick list.

My two cents worth anyhow.

We will also prepare a 360 for you benefit.

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi Grant,

Thank you very much for showing us this project. I have not read all the texts yet. But I enjoy the pictures immensely.

Has the donor seen it yet? And what did they say about it now? :D

Thank you and best regards.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

im loving where this one is going guys :D

this rounded sort of style is one of my favourite for pines, it is something i would expect to see over in japan if i ever get there! one day maybe :D

look forward to the next installment!
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Jamie wrote:im loving where this one is going guys :D

this rounded sort of style is one of my favourite for pines, it is something i would expect to see over in japan if i ever get there! one day maybe :D

look forward to the next installment!
Rounded style is probably a good name for it. You will only get glimpses of the upper trunk as it develops but you will allways see the fat base.

Re owner we will be seeing him soon but he and his partner have both been sick.

Grant
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

yep i know exactly what ya talking bout with the rounded style grant, it is a favourite of mine when looking through pictures of pines from japan :D

very keen to see this in a couple of years!
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
NBPCA

Post by NBPCA »

Here is a link to a 360 of the Five needle pine as it stands at the moment.

Enjoy,

Grant

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/360/Pinus_parviflora1_nbpca
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

NBPCA wrote:Here is a link to a 360 of the Five needle pine as it stands at the moment.

Enjoy,

Grant

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/360/Pinus_parviflora1_nbpca

G,day Grant and Leigh, this is looking good.
However have you considered, turning the front, about 20=25 degrees to the right to loose some of the blunt taper from the graft. Just a thought. Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Gareth »

Is it just me, or does the 360° link not work for this tree?
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Gareth wrote:Is it just me, or does the 360° link not work for this tree?
I did not find a problem, I have no suggestions how to fix yours sorry.

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

Doesn't work for me either..... other trees do though??????

Return to “360° Bonsai Viewing”