Black pine driving me crazy

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: -

Black pine driving me crazy

Post by badabing888 »

Hi All,

I've had this black pine for a few years now and i've been at a total loss as to where to go from here. It's getting to that point where i have to bite the bullet at some stage.
I've got two rough ideas but no real direction, usually something just sticks out but this time i'm totally undecided.......and it's driving me crazy,
If anyone can jump in with some ideas etc

Potential front
potentialfront.jpg
The nebari / trunk extends quite far below the soil so the bottom right won't look as if its poking out so much
IMG_7199.jpg
How it currently looks above
IMG_7231.JPG
The other potential front is the other side and using the apex which was formed from the previous trunk chop at the first whorl, im not sure how this would heal however. There looks to be too much space / bare trunk line at this stage so i was thinking, it's not an option
IMG_7235.PNG
Above is the trunk chop with the apex jutting off at a bit of a weird angle
IMG_7215.JPG
Above is the rear of the left branch where a new potential apex could be formed with 1 shoot / branch to go left and forming the 2nd branch and the other forming the new apex
IMG_7183.JPG
This was investigating below the soil, roots are quite radial and i can go down further then this, but i didn't want to disturb them too much, its about as thick as a coke can
potentialdesign.jpg
Finally this is what i was think but i'm not totally sure as to how this would play out.
Once its potted higher i'll tilt it left so the first branch sits higher and to add more movement into the trunk and then trunk chop all the way down to this part

If anyone could jump in and tell me i'm crazy or otherwise, or how such a large trunk chop would heal that would be fantastic! :worship: :worship:

Thanks for reading! :yes: :yes: :yes:

Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Black pine driving me crazy

Post by treeman »

Really hard to tell without actually holding it but would some kind of variation of this work?
Whatever you do don't cut branches and force it to look like a million others. And no I was not on acid when I wrote the red stuff. :lol:
pi.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

treeman wrote:Really hard to tell without actually holding it but would some kind of variation of this work?
Whatever you do don't cut branches and force it to look like a million others. And no I was not on acid when I wrote the red stuff. :lol:
pi.JPG
I love how you see what is possible. I'm still working on that :lost: :lost:
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

I was thinking of tilting it to the right, then doing something like this...
imageedit_2_8521257482.jpg
Matt.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Yep that's good too Matt!
Mike
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: -

Post by badabing888 »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply i left some wire on 1 of my pines way too long and its scared badly and i just couldn't stand to think of bonsai for a few days!!!

Awesome designs way better then i can come up with, BUT!

The photos don't really show it but most of the growth which would have become the apex / new trunk line in those designs is actually growth from the lowest right branch, i wish it was from above it would have made life a lot easier.

I'll get some better pics in day light tomorrow hopefully it will give a better idea!

Regards

Daniel

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”