Chop or not

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Chop or not

Post by Elmer »

I acquired thi Callistemon almost 2yrs ago and have just moved it recently which has me pondering a big chop, air layering the main left branch and the top just above the first right branch. As much as I love this tree it is Big about 1200mm high and wide making it not light or easy to move around to get the best light in my little courtyard, it would allow me to rotate clockwise about 110 degrees for the best nebari.
cal1.jpg
cal2.jpg
cal3.jpg
I hesitate in deference to the original grower whom i respect and the design is starting to fill in nicely, would you go the big chop and start again?

Thanks in advance
Elmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Chop or not

Post by Boics »

My humble advice is that whilst air layers are great they don't always yield intended success - some can even be classed as failures.
Any removal of such large branches will leave big holes and scars that will require carving to "naturalise".
You may not get any lower branches to benefit your new base/design.

So in summary not a terribly bad idea for the reason's you've outlined but tread carefully.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Elmer ,
A bit radical but could it be possible to split the trunk in two ,following the natural line in pics 1 and 2 .The roots already look a little separated already and the Tree looks healthy enough .There will be a fair amount of scarring but this could be incorporated in the overall design. Another option. Cheers John.
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmer »

Boics, could you elaborate on the success/failure layering might produce? From what I have read and been told Callistemon layer fairly easily so I thought it could be a good learning experience. I didn't want to waste so much old wood given how long this variety takes to gain girth, from what I have been told the tree is at least 30yrs old.
I am constantly removing new shoots from all up and down the trunk so I am fairly confident it will provide more if chopped.

John, an interesting idea i will have to have a closer look. The tree has a number of scars from it's time in a garden and branch removal since collection, from all my limited knowledge wouldn't some more add to the illusion of an even older tree?
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Is it possible to get some pics of the whole tree from a few different angles? It has a beautiful base, but for my :2c: it seems a bit lost in the rest of the tree. I would definitely consider the chop.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmer »

Dansai, will try get a few more pics when a friend visits, as it currently stands it's too heavy to move on my own.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”