Some sort of Black Pine

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Some sort of Black Pine

Post by Max »

Hi Squizzy....are you going to tourniquet the layer, wait for bulge/roots to about protrude and then wrap in spag? or just the normal method
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

Hi No Idea,

I am thinking just the normal method. I have already styled the top half with what I think is the basic shape. I will leave putting on the air layer now until next spring.

Have you had some experience with the tourniquet method? What are the advantages?

squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

Hi Sqizz...nah mate but i air layered a cupresses which took a while to root and then when it did i noticed roots were forming further up the branch, by the time i removed the layer the upper roots (they were not covered with anything) some were about 15mm long, so i figured next time i do the layer i will tourniquet it. That way i dont have to worry about making sure my spag hasn't dried out, i can just check to see if roots are popping and then cover them in spag. Since it's slow growing i thought this technique might be easier for your Blackie, plus you might save 10mm from where you ring bark :o :lol: :lol: 8-)

regards
Max

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”