Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Jasonb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/azalea
Bonsai Age: 1

Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by Jasonb »

The diagonal view with the shorter trunk at the front caught my eye a bit more when it was in the flesh. Just a thought is all. And I must have skipped the part about pot size when I was reading through, I have a bad habit of that. Look forward to seeing it again.

Jason
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Re: Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi Matthius,

After recently seeing this tree in person, I was quite taken back by it. One could almost say that I was mesmerised by it and it also occurred to me on how good this material is for Shohin, "Bonsai for the People".

I love what you have done to it since then, the pot change for me has had a profound effect and for the better. The classical pot works so well with it, moreso than your previous freeform one (great pot too). I hope you don't mind but I am going to effectionately refer to this tree from now on as,
torvill.jpg
:P

Cheers

David

p.s What a great weekend was had, many more to come thats for sure 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Biofusion, thanks mate, I think the statement "these picture in NO way, do this tree any favours" is true for many bonsai.

Jason, I respect your styling ideas so next time your up we will sit down with it together, David got it in front of him on the w/e & wouldnt let go :whistle:

Willows, you old dog, I think the term "Bonsai for the People" could easily be misconstrue as a negative, for me this tree shows just how wrong that would be, I like the comparison & have adopted the name ;) The pot now sits empty if you have something that might suit :tu2:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

What will die back has now done so & thankfully despite a major crack down low the trunk on the right wasn't lost completely, further, while each branch has suffered some dieback no branchlines have been lost so its wont take too many months to fill out again.
Dscn0876rz.jpg
The dead branchlets will be left to continue the story of this trees struggle for life...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Hi all,

I just stumbled across this thread and hopefully no one minds a continuation of a portion of this tree.

From memory, I could be wrong, the other half died off and this was the surviving half. It was given to me to continue its journey. The photos i have of it are not substantial but add to its progression.

The intention is to find a new and suitable pot for it where my desired front can be show best, but all in good time, no rush.
M Lept 4 Aug 2014.jpg
*4 Aug 2014 (forgot i had this)
M Lept 26 Sept 2016 A.jpg
*26 Sept 2016 existing front
M Lept 26 Sept 2016 B.jpg
*26 Sept 2016 current rear but possible front
ML 15 Sept 17 A.jpg
*today, a lazy phone pic from a proposed planting angle
ML 15 Sept 17 B.jpg
*today, slightly different angle but its along those lines
ML 15 Sept 17 C.jpg
*a pic to show its flowers this season

I hope to update this again once I find a new pot and repot it in time.

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Cheers

Willow

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”