Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
reddoggy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that Flowers
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by reddoggy »

Matta
What ended up the front,trying to get a perspective on what you chose ABCDEF or I
Will turn out a nice tree in a year or two. :hooray:
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by MattA »

Thanks Doggy, another year or 2 to develop the basic branch structure a few more should see it where it is in my head.

H turned a little back towards G.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

comp2.jpg
Edit: I didnt feel a comparison between H & now showed it well so redid the pic. As the front stands somewhere between the 2....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MattA on December 26th, 2012, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Roger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea, Leptospermum, casuarinas, melaleucas + oth
Bonsai Age: 47
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Roger »

Some fascinating work and discussion on this little one. I greatly enjoyed reading through the comments.

With the range of views on the best 'front', I'm inclined to say that little time needs to spent on deciding that. The tree should look good all around, though you might want to take several pictures, where only one 'f'ront' can be seen at a time ;) .

I wonder if some info on what leptos look like in extreme situations would help with the virting of possible canopies? For my eyes, the suggestions so far look beautiful and elegant, but just don't match the concept of letpo....

Roger
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Roger, thanks for your input into this littlun. While I agree that a tree should look good from all sides, it is often only from one perspective that you can truly get into the tree & understand it fully.

I am going slowly with the styling at the moment mainly because I am not 100% on the final canopy. Pictures of wild lepto's in extreme situations would be of great help should I go the second way, naturalistic similar to the one in the banner. The first choice however, is, tight flat pads similar to this...
pad.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Roger is right !!! wild, windswept and broomy is the go on these trees !!! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Regards Antonio:
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

anttal63 wrote:Roger is right !!! wild, windswept and broomy is the go on these trees !!! :tu: :tu: :tu:
Ant, think you could do a virt for me please?

The basic framework is now in place it just needs filling out. If want a better pic let me know.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Here are a couple of wild (ish) Leptos from Port Phillip - they have dynamic trunks, and really incongruous foliage blobs sitting on top. It may be what they look like in the suburban wild, but I'm not sure that I want that look.
P1070130.jpg
P1070137.jpg
The next branch is actually a Casuarina, but it has a "wild" look - you can feel the wind blowing through it.
P1070129.jpg
My feeling is that solid tight pads may not sit well with the rugged trunks, and light, open-spaced scattered leaves (pretty much as you have, axctually) will suit the feeling of the tree.

Hope this is confusing enough,

Gavin
Last edited by GavinG on December 28th, 2012, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks for the pics Gavin, less confusing than my own visual imagery ;) Its the blobby foliage of wild trees that is steering me away from the naturalist school but I guess even a 'wild naturalist' bonsai is controlled so ...
42 Mice ~Imperfection
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

If you can hear the wind, and feel the isolation, then to hell with scale-modelling. At least that's my 2c.

Gavin
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I am still trying to decide if its on the hillside, the ridge or just growing against another tree with the wind blowing it back :whistle:

Ash's Leptospermum is a good example to emulate... viewtopic.php?f=136&t=8451&p=93247&hili ... mum#p93247
Last edited by MattA on December 29th, 2012, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

A repeat of the original series of pics 6mths on.
Dscn0285rz.jpg
Dscn0286rz.jpg
Dscn0287rz.jpg
Dscn0288rz.jpg
Dscn0289rz.jpg
Dscn0290rz.jpg
Dscn0291rz.jpg
Dscn0292rz.jpg
Dscn0299rz.jpg
Still working it out as it grows, am considering carving the deadwood to allow a change in planting angle or on suggestion from a nonbonsai mate that it could be 2 seperate trees its another possibility given each trunk has its own root system and no connected live wood....
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Ok not sure whats going on with the site but the pics where there, then they were not & now some are but others not. These are the ones missing from the series as it appears now but who knows later...
Dscn0285rz.jpg
Dscn0293rz.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Ok, now I am confused... when I look at the thread the pics posted last night don't show up but when I go into the post reply they appear in the review topic section at the bottom. Can one of the mods have a look & see whats going on?
42 Mice ~Imperfection
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

That is really weird Matt, I had to post a reply to try it out and you're right. Wonder what's going on there?

At any rate, nice tree! Hard to pick a front as they all look good for different reasons, at least to me. I like the pot too, though I know you mentioned earlier in the thread that it was a bit of a "learning experience". You guys that make your own pots make me want to try that too. :shake: I'll probably want to try a lot more when my trees start to get good enough to deserve nice pots. So maybe in a decade or so I'll look at taking up pottery. :lol:
Cheers, Karl

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”