Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by MattA »

During the week I found the lifelines and roughed out the deadwood, today it was repotted to bring the roots level. I am keen to hear or see what others would do with the trunk & branching.
A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg
F.jpg
G.jpg
H.jpg
I.jpg
The constraints are that only existing branches can be used & while considerable movement can be achieved no sharp bends in the trunks are possible.

Thanks in advance.
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by anttal63 »

Hi Matty, I believe F is the front, you just need to refine the carving between the 2 trunks, then its just a matter of taste as to how you would like to arrange your canopy. Heres a wind swept for you. :tu:
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by anttal63 on October 27th, 2012, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by matlea »

Nice vert.. What about reducing the foliage height on the top by about a half, and extending a little more to the right?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351324753.660718.jpg
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks Anttal & Matlea,
An interesting choice of fronts, I am leaning towards C as my front or G turned slightly towards H, this gives the best seperation of the 2 trunks IMO

It has a few weeks to rest before I start work, hopefuly by then I will have seen where to take it.
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I like B as the front, but reduce the height of the right trunk a little

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

MattA wrote:Thanks Anttal & Matlea,
An interesting choice of fronts, I am leaning towards C as my front or G turned slightly towards H, this gives the best seperation of the 2 trunks IMO
It has a few weeks to rest before I start work, hopefuly by then I will have seen where to take it.
Matt

I like your choices matt as long as (c) can get the foliage to work in synergy as do the bottom trunks... My choice from 2D pics was purely on the movement of the left hand upper trunk that would also need to be tweaked over to the right a little more in my virt. :tu:
Regards Antonio:
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

anttal63 wrote:
MattA wrote:Thanks Anttal & Matlea,
Matt

I like your choices matt as long as (c) can get the foliage to work in synergy as do the bottom trunks... My choice from 2D pics was purely on the movement of the left hand upper trunk that would also need to be tweaked over to the right a little more in my virt. :tu:
It will all depend on how much movement I can get into the left hand trunk to bring it back over the deadwood, at the moment it goes out to the back big time (C). Give it a few weeks to est then we will see what happens....
42 Mice ~Imperfection
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Ideas for a Leptospermum

Post by matlea »

...by the way I like the pot!
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

kcpoole wrote:I like B as the front, but reduce the height of the right trunk a little

Ken
B is certainly interesting too !!!
Regards Antonio:
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Hi Matt, this would be "my" take on it. good luck mate.
Mattk1.jpg
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Thanks Craig,
3 votes for that front, it willbe interesting to see where it ends up in a few weeks time.

Thanks Matlea,
It is one of my early experimental pots, not totally happy with it but already know how to improve :tu:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
ben the barbarian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by ben the barbarian »

Probably a bit late to the party on this one, but I like the F side best also, and the character of the left trunk. Might be a bit drastic, but you could jin the right trunk/branch and do something like this--
Fvert.jpg
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Nice virts Craig and Ben !!! Ben i hope you dont mind but i jigged yours a tad . :tu:
Regards Antonio:
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Stage 1 complete
100_5820rz.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Once I was sure the cracking I heard had done no major damage stage 2 was pruning everything back to the first pair of leaves. It shot away well & stage 3 commenced on the 17/12 with 2 branches on the left trunk bound & tied down.
100_6064rz.jpg
With all still going well today was the day to tackle the branch with the furthest to go, I really didnt expect it to go as far as it did but am really pleased with the change...
100_6098rz.jpg
One of the branches moved on the 17th was taken to an extreme to test the waters. I intend to build the foliage cloud out of the first & second sideshoots but rather than cut off the excess I decided to see how it would handle a cascading position, so far its looking ok.
100_6104rz.jpg
It still has a long way to go but the main branchlines have been started, the rest will be clip & grow.

It remains in the critique forum so fire away :D
Matt

Edit: Dimensions... 13h 17w 12d
Last edited by MattA on December 25th, 2012, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”