help with a couple of trees

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

help with a couple of trees

Post by kez »

Hi folks,

this is my first post here. Have dabbled around the outskirts of bonsai for a while now but have never had huge success, really love it though.

I though I would post up a couple of trees I have had for a while that I would love some help with re. future direction. Both were purchased as Bonsai from local nurseries and had had some minor pruning and tinkering by me but nothing major.

First is a port Jackson fig I have had for about 2 years now, I have been trying to thicken and round out the canopy without a lot of success, and it has recently had a re-pot and a bit of a shape

Second is a chinese elm that I have had for around a year and a half, I have done none of the major shaping of this tree, only pruning. As with this fig it has just been repotted and had a big hair cut that should I hope thicken up the shape.

Looking forward to hearing some more experienced opinions regarding these 2

Kez
Olivecrazy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: A realy good one :D

Re: help with a couple of trees

Post by Olivecrazy »

That elm wants me to go get my wire an find something to work on :lol: :lol: :lol: i think the rock has to go its stands out to much as for the tree its good if it was mine i would defoliate wire primary & secondary branches into place ( this would be nearly each branch coming of the trunk) then thin out each branch. Doing this would make the tree go BAM with new shoots in a few weeks an be possible to develope tighter foliage pads from there wish it was on my bench good work :tu:
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

looks to me that both need more food---with only a few trees I would immerse each in a large bowl of a weak seasol and soluble fert solution -once a week- and on the surface as well perhaps sprinkle some osmocote
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Thanks for the input mate, really appreciate it. I agree on the rock, may need to wait until a re-pot though. Just to clarify, when you say wire, what did you have in mind purpose wise? Would it be in the hope of re-directing the growth/branch structure? or ensuring growth continues along the lines it is currently growing?

Kind of new to this side of things.

Also when you mention thin out, are u referring to removing a percentage of the smaller side branches to encourage more budding? Sorry about the newb aspect of my questions

Thanks again
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Cheers guy,

I have a lot of fish tanks so they get a weekly soak in the tank water/filter mulm when I do my maintenance
bonsaiLov
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: FIGS
Bonsai Age: 28

Post by bonsaiLov »

I would agree with removing the white round rock
AnneK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by AnneK »

Hi Kez,

I'm looking at both trees and saying what a pity we can't see other views. Must these views be your fronts?

Looking at the elm for example: from halfway up; the trunk is too straight without any relief. There maybe an alternative front which could minimise this. Otherwise it could be a CDRB cut down and rebuild. With good feeding and watering they regrow really well.

Regards, AnneK.
My favourite tree is the one I'm working on at any given time.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Thanks again for the info folks,

I agree with the middle section of the elm, very straight, wouldn't know where to start with the rebuild though.

The fig got a defoliation and wire yesterday, here are some pics of it now from the same view, and with a potential other front, would love opinions

Here's the original and current front

potential other front

Ofcourse some changes may need to be made to the wire/bending of the branches if the new front is the most pleasing, and ofcourse any help would be greatly appreciated

Kez
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

I would like to see the view from the right hand side on the original front - the roots may look better ? It depends what you are looking for stylewise but I would bend the branches downward some more if it were my tree. I myself am not a fan of aerial roots so I would remove those too. That is :2c:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Thought I'd put up a pic 10 months on,

The fig has come a long way (as has my skill and knowledge) but I wont post a pic as it currently has spots all over the leaves from lime sulfur that was applied for a bit of rust and it looks unsightly, gotta wait till a defol in summer. I will however post up a pick of the elm, which I think is doing OK. This tree will never be fantastic, It was purchased maybe 2 and a bit years ago from the little bonsai section of a local nursery and is what you would expect of such a tree.

It will always be messy, but it's overall shape and aesthetic stops me from wanting to do anything drastic. It has been, and will continue to be a good opportunity to practice deciduous techniques and I think in the last 10 months it's come along as well as could be expected. It is just starting to lose a few leaves and has just had a trim, and it's first ever wire, having been grown clip and grow thus far

It will be re-potted this weekend, probably into a more suitable pot and with the new angle as the front

Here she is
IMG_2285 (1024x683).jpg
Hope you all enjoy, like I said not a fantastic tree, but nice to see it develop all the same

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”