azalea not doing well

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
65muzzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: azalea not doing well

Post by 65muzzy »

This has got me stumped because right next to the above azalea I have another three in a group setting and they are going gang busters.
65muzzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by 65muzzy »

I removed the pot today to take a closer look at the soil. The soil seems very compact and its hard to get a screwdriver through to the bottom. Could this be the problem of the dieing branches.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

65muzzy wrote:I removed the pot today to take a closer look at the soil. The soil seems very compact and its hard to get a screwdriver through to the bottom. Could this be the problem of the dieing branches.
Hi 65muzzy,
You may have found the problem. No bonsai soil should be that hard. I suspect some of the roots were not getting water. You will need a much more open mix.

Regards Ray
65muzzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by 65muzzy »

I had no choice but to repot the azalea tonight as there was practically no soil in the pot apart from about 5mm on the top. I didn't want to disturd the tree to much as it probably is stressed at the moment, so I only removed very little roots from the bottom and some from the perimeter. I hope this helps.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”