Starting Out - Juniper

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Camellia Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Starting Out - Juniper

Post by Wayne R »

Well, here I go with my first legitimate attempt at Bonsai. My personal circumstances are such that I don't have ready access to nurseries with the exception of the big green shed and the big blue shed. Fortunately, I was given some respite yesterday and made a lightning dash to a bone fide nursery and picked up 4 JBPs and a Juniper. This thread concerns the Juniper.

I am not (at this stage) concerned about nebari nor the upper structure of the tree. I want to focus on what the trunk/branch(s) of the tree offer, my assessment of that offering and your opinion of my assessment. I would prefer this tree to be in informal upright style.
  • ~ I don't like the branches at “D” and feel they should go.
    ~ The main branch “A”, worries me. Re-potting the tree at a different angle might support this branch as the main trunk, however I am not sure I have the skills to pursue this option.
    ~ I just don't like the secondary branch at “B”. It comes from the trunk right down almost at root level and exhibits very little tapering.
    ~ I have a real fondness for the branch at “C”. It reduces nicely from the trunk diameter and has a 'corkscrew' movement for the first 4-5 inches.
My gut feel is that to achieve an informal upright style, branch "C" is the better choice.
DSC_6595a.JPG
DSC_6604a.JPG
DSC_6605a.JPG
DSC_6607a.JPG
Advice greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wayne R on September 24th, 2014, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
Wayne
Inspired
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: conifers

Re: Starting Out - Juniper

Post by Inspired »

Thought I'd chime in here to help some encouragement along.

Your letters marked in the photos at first thought looked like red spider mites or other crawling pests.. perhaps a larger marker next time :whistle:

What sort of Juniper is it?

If me I'd clear any finicky branches and coil the trunkline into a tangle mess. Then plant it outside and forget for some time.

Hard to do when you just starting out and perhaps only have the odd or few to work and play with..

Either way you'd be trigger happy and likely to cut, wire, trim, repot away. In any way it is your creation so have fun, learn and develop these trees :P
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

C would be the one i keep and use as the next section of trunk. all the others I would either remove now ( or later and use for Sacrifice branches in the meantime).

I would get some wire onto that trunk and bend and twist into a more interesting shape than just a straight line.
See some of my twisted Juniper threads to see some ideas.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Wayne R »

Inspired wrote:Thought I'd chime in here to help some encouragement along.
Many thanks... I need all the help I can get.
Inspired wrote:Your letters marked in the photos at first thought looked like red spider mites or other crawling pests.. perhaps a larger marker next time :whistle:
I believe that if you left click on each image it pops open as a larger image and the lettering also expands.
Inspired wrote:What sort of Juniper is it?
No idea... and the Thai guy running the shop didn't have a great grasp of English, and my Thai is limited to ordering a beer and a pizza :lol:
Inspired wrote:In any way it is your creation so have fun, learn and develop these trees :P
That's the intent :tu:
kcpoole wrote:C would be the one i keep ... I would get some wire onto that trunk and bend and twist into a more interesting shape than just a straight line.
See some of my twisted Juniper threads to see some ideas.
I'm giving myself a pat on the back for this one and naturally I'm agreeing with what you're suggesting. That C branch is already contorting itself so a little extra encouragement might be in order. And thanks for the idea of looking thru some of your Juniper threads... will do!

I'll leave this for a day or two just in case someone comes up with a knockout left field option. Sitting in the ground isn't going to hurt, right?
Peace
Wayne
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

I'm starting out too! I tried my hand at some junipers. It was very satisfying!!

Can you go with a semi cascade style?

Take out the d's and b's and develop c??

I'm gonna guess a Chinesis on the type of plant.
Billy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Billy »

:gday: honestly, you really need to know what's under the soil . You at the very least need to know how far from soil level to useable root level before you begin to remove "B" or any "D's" in case of a direction change just under soil level. good luck :fc:
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by trident76 »

I agree. Get yourself a chopstick and poke around to see if you can find some surface roots. This should help determine decisions regarding branching etc
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
Wayne R
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Wayne R »

@ Billy & trident76

Yeah, I should have thought of that first. I got a shock once b4 with a prostrate juniper that was hiding a good 40mm of trunk under the potting mix surface. Will check it out first thing.
Last edited by Wayne R on September 25th, 2014, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace
Wayne

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”