Adenium obesum, desert rose

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies
Bonsai Age: 14

Re: Adenium obesum, desert rose

Post by banksia »

I've had (being the operative word :palm: ) a few of these over the years and have had varying success.
Everything mentioned so far, is true...to a certain degree. Adeniums hate too much moisture in the cooler months. So much so, that I repot into seasol soaked medium and the tree comes inside for 3 months.
In Perth's summer heat I water daily and Powerfeed fortnightly up until about Aussie Day. Pruning...when required, can be done once the weather warms up and there is no longer any chance of consistent rainfall. I don't seal any cuts made, as it's messy trying to apply cut paste and as long as the area is kept dry, the wound seals just fine on it's own.
I had one for a good 10 or so years potted as a bonsai that was pretty impressive. Caudex was the size of a dinner plate!! Branchwork all nicely established....only to lose it to rot from an over zealous watering friend while we were on holiday.
This one is about 8 years old. Lost a lot of it's development to a hailstorm about 4 years ago. The large scar in the front is actually where the main trunkline used to flow from in it's original design.
The trunkline now is formally the back "half" of the tree.
I love them...they remind me of Indo. A place very dear to my heart.

Cheers!
Anthony :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”