Chinese elm

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
dibly_w
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: chinese elm , swamp cypress and ummmmm buxus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: harmony tea garden highfields

Chinese elm

Post by dibly_w »

Hey guys , I just picked this feller up on the weekend I bought the pot , hope it's a good one for the plant . I like it , I think I have left too much root base on it but didn't want to be too harsh on its roots (since it was from a deep plastic pot ) correct me if I'm wrong but .
I'm thinking it would make a nice broom style top when it thickens up with a couple of small bushes on the back and side.
At my novice level I'm open to any suggestions and ideas that will make this corky bark a cracker .
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dibly_w
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Chinese elm

Post by dibly_w »

All the other angles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Hi Dibly,
I like the base on this, is it a Seiju? The corky bark is great and for me I think it would make a better informal upright rather than broom as it is. The trunk is pretty straight and lacks a bit of taper for the most part, I think this also makes me think it is a Seiju. To get movement into them I think they need plent of pruning and then choosing new leaders to create some curves. I believe they back bud well, but I don't have one like this.
I don't really want to tell you what to do with it, I'll leave that to others with more experience with this kind of Elm, I think it has good potential though and wish you luck! :yes:
dibly_w
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dibly_w »

Thanks ryceman , im not 100% sure what exactly it is :reading: ... its an elm haha .I like it i have another one that is in a rock display and think they are wonderful trees, as far as im aware very hardy too and good for beginners. I have planted a heap of its roots from the repot . If your anywhere near toowoomba id be happy to give you some when spring comes and they have shooted .
Thanks for the advice too i will look into more informal styles indeed . Have a great night

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”