Advice for newb with juniper

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Advice for newb with juniper

Post by Tim.C »

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi everyone, I have this juniper, and would like some advice on what to do with it. I know the first thing everyone is going to say is, "put it in a bigger pot and grow, grow, grow." I intend on doing that, but as for the style of the tree, I would like some advice and opinions. I was originally thinking a semi, or full cascade, but have lately been thinking of straightening him up, and using some of the branches for dead wood. Advice and opinions more than welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Advice for newb with juniper

Post by shibui »

With such a young tree all options are open to you. Make it into whatever you want but also be prepared to change your mind as it develops because they do not always grow as you had imagined.

These guys get really stiff so it would b worth wiring and putting some bends into the trunk and branches now or you'll be stuck with straight for ever after.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

I see a nice cascade in there
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Hi Tim,

I would suggest that you either plant the juniper on the ground or in a plastic pot.
Alternatively you could have a read about colander planting
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14986&hilit=colanders

Depends on what your situation is like and the size of your backyard. For instance, I live in a Granny Flat with another house and the only area that gets the most sunlight is on brick paving.
Very little sunlight enters the small part of the garden. You would consider the following:
  • The thickness of your desired trunk
    The size of your bonsai
    Nebari
    The amount of foliage
I would leave the remaining to other experienced bonsai artist
Kind Regards
Allen
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Really to young to decide what to do with.
It can be made into any shape you desire easily. so pick one and have a go.
Wire and bend to shape, Make a twisted mini out of it, wire some branches to it and learn how to develop foliage pads and maintain it. Plenty of opportunity to learn the techniques to create and maintain Bonsai.
No point re Jin or shari as it is too small to effectively utilise them.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

Thank for your input guys. I think I'll just put it in a bigger pot and start wiring the trunk down for a cascade style. Never tried this before, so I'll see what happens. Got to start somewhere I suppose.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

With this tree I would wire the smaller trunk for the cascade - put plenty of bends in it but don't worry too much about the planting angle yet - just make sure there is a bend where the fork is so that when you eventually change the angle of the base the new trunk will point down as the cascade. Leave the stronger trunk for the moment. It is doing a good job thickening the base of the tree. Cut it off (but leave some for a jin) when the base is thicker or when the other trunk loses vigour.
Taper is an important part of bonsai so don't always select the strongest part as your main trunkline. Always look for ways to make taper in your trees.

If you use the strong branch as the main trunk there will be very little taper in your bonsai and you won't have any significant bits to make jin.
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

Thanks Shibui.

When you say wire the smaller trunk for the cascade, do you mean the little one sticking straight up?, or the weaker one where it forks further up? Sorry if this seems a basic question, I just don't have any experience at all in shaping a tree for bonsai. All I know is once you cut it off, you can't glue it back on.

Tim
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I was looking at the one sticking straight up Tim but because I can't actually see the tree in 3D it might not be possible. You'll have to assess and decide if it can be done.
After a second look I see the other branch you are talking about further along the stronger trunk. It may also be an option but I think that might make the first part of the trunk a bit too long before it starts to taper?

Still a few years to decide. I don't think you should cut any of it off for quite a while. It will all help to grow the trunk so leave as much as possible for as long as possible. You can still wire the stronger trunk as well if you think there are possibilities for it to be used.
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tim.C »

Thanks again Shibui.

I'm liking your idea about bending the small vertical branch down to make the cascading trunk. It is doable, but can you advise which way to bend it? Would you bend it away from the main trunk? (180 deg from existing main trunk, right in pic 1),or would you go 90 deg to main trunk? (Towards or away from camera in pic 1). Or does it not matter? Sorry for all the questions, I'm at the very bottom of a steep learning curve.

Thanks Tim

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”