Critique for a Wisteria

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
HarryBek
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Critique for a Wisteria

Post by HarryBek »

Hi all,

I recently visited Chojo Bonsai and picked up a new pot for my wisteria. Finally got a chance to root prune and re-pot it a couple days ago and was after some direction on the overall style and branching. I am aware the branch on the right is not right where it is and was thinking it needed to start more parallel to the main trunk and then branch back out to right. Please forgive the poor wiring as this is my first restyle and root prune.

Regards Harry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Critique for a Wisteria

Post by treeman »

It's fine. Just cut back the branches (especially the top) much harder before (or after) flowering.
Mike
HarryBek
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HarryBek »

Thanks Treeman. When you say prune back hard before or after, would you go back all the way to the old wood? How far back would you recommend pruning?
Last edited by HarryBek on July 17th, 2015, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

HarryBek wrote:Thanks Treeman. When you say prune back hard before or after, would you go back all the way to the old wood? How far back would you recommend pruning?
You can cut back to anywhere really, but just to be safe cut back to a node (or bud) you can see.
Seal the cuts too as the wood is prone to rotting and they don't heal over. I used bitumen paint which worked well and lasts forever.
Mike
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

If you're lucky enough to get some very low shoots let them grow to help fatten the base-virtually any weeping style works well during flowering as long as long as the basic structure isn't hidden.
HarryBek
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HarryBek »

Thanks for the advice on the cuts treeman, will look for bitumen paint on my next outing.

Tgward, are you aware of anyway to stimulate shoots lower down on the trunk? Would pruning back hard encourage shoots lower down on the trunk?

Also does anyone have advice on when they think I would be safe to remove the wires(tie downs) I have on the trunk for shaping?

Appreciate the responses guys.

Harry
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

for the next season or so I would encourage as much growth as possible (weak fertiliser more often)but keep it trimmed and relatively compact to try to force some lower buds
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

HarryBek wrote: Also does anyone have advice on when they think I would be safe to remove the wires(tie downs) I have on the trunk for shaping?

Harry
Wisteria are slow to put on size in a pot after the new shoots have hardened off, so you can leave the wire on for a ages.
I have had it on mine which looks to be a similar size for about 2 years now and no sign of cutting in yet.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
HarryBek
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by HarryBek »

tgward wrote:for the next season or so I would encourage as much growth as possible (weak fertiliser more often)but keep it trimmed and relatively compact to try to force some lower buds
Hi tgward, is there a particular fertiliser you would recommend for wisteria? I am currently using a mixture of seasol(the green and white bottles combined) and fetilising weekly.

Thanks for the advice on the wiring kcpoole.

Harry
elljuu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wisteria. apple. japanese elm.
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by elljuu »

kcpoole wrote:
HarryBek wrote: Also does anyone have advice on when they think I would be safe to remove the wires(tie downs) I have on the trunk for shaping?

Harry
Wisteria are slow to put on size in a pot after the new shoots have hardened off, so you can leave the wire on for a ages.
I have had it on mine which looks to be a similar size for about 2 years now and no sign of cutting in yet.

Ken
Thanks kcpoole. I've been checking on my wisteria every day. It's nice to know there is nothing to worry about for 2 years

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”