To cut or not to cut?

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies
Bonsai Age: 14

To cut or not to cut?

Post by banksia »

Hi there guys!. I've posted this tree a few times over the years. Just general updates on it's development and in particular, the way it's bounced back after being badly damaged by a hailstorm or two.
As it's well into another growing season atm, it's either, keep up the usual maintenance (trim/pluck, wire, repot)...or something more drastic.
I've been thinking for a couple of years now at how it would look with it's first branch removed?....it is after all on the inside of a curve. Having said that though, it has a lot of design faults.
Really keen to hear your opinions and anything else you might like to add.....and seeing as this is the virtual section, if anyone is that computer savvy...I'd love to see what it looks like without it.
As said earlier, it's midway through a growth spurt, so excuse it's extended growth and lack of wiring.

Cheers!
Anthony :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: To cut or not to cut?

Post by Matt S »

Hi Anthony,

Right now I'm at work and supposed to be working on a spreadsheet :whistle: , but I was thinking about your tree (excellent work by the way) and you could remove the first right branch to create a less stable, more dynamic composition. Here's my MS Paint effort...
slant.jpg
This would require the first branch to be lowered slightly which may not be practical.

Anyway, feel free to ignore my advice!

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Way to go Matt! Thanks for that. A different...very different approach, than what I'd originally thought.
Now I'm confused though! :palm: as it's pretty removed from what I'd originally had in mind.
The now bottom branch can be brought down a little...certainly enough to incorporate your idea.
Any chance of one just minus the first left branch?? :worship: Then I can compare and maybe get a consensous (sp.?)

Cheers!
Last edited by banksia on September 22nd, 2015, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Lovely tree.

I don't even feel worthy enough to do a virt!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Good on ya Boics! :tu2: Thanks heaps for that. That's the branch I initially thought might have to go.
Well. After looking at the two for a little while now, I know which of the two I prefer.
Matt!. You've given the tree exactly what you stated. A very refreshing look for sure. Once again, seeking advice from others opens new/unseen possibilities.
If there's a poll section I might start one and see what the general consensus is.
Otherwise...there may well be an update very soon.

Cheers!
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

OK, just to confuse you further, you could go with your original idea but reduce the new first left branch...
mal.JPG
I like this too, despite the dodgey virt. The exact positioning of the branches is unclear so you'd need to check with the tree wich is the most viable. Would the first design create 2 consecutive left branches?

Matt.
dennismc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives, JBP, Cfrepe Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Teacher, School of Bonsai

Post by dennismc »

Hi all

Being just a little technical here. This a slanting style the tree, the first branch should be on lower side of the tree as in the first virtual picture. This makes sense if you think about it- assuming the tree starts upright then is bent over for whatever reasons then the first branch on the underside will be bent below the other branches. Of Course there will be exceptions but in this case vert 1 does lead to an exception tree.

Good luck with your decision.

Dennis Mc
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I like boics virt but would like to see the left branch brought down as far as you can. Don't think it would be technically right as it is the second branch and would be lower than the first, but I think it could make an interesting image.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Whooa! Came home from nightshift to a couple more responses...Thanks again people. :cool:
I appreciate the explanation Dennis...it goes to show there can be exceptions to the rule. As I said previously, the tree has some faults/flaws already, so your words are reassuring.
Matt!. The second one of yours is appealing too, but I still prefer your first effort. Yes, that would be two consecutive branches on the left. Thanks for your input :tu:
dansai! Although Boics' virt is what I originally envisioned, now that it's in front of me (so to speak) it isn't what I thought it would look like. If I was to bring that left branch down it would be a definite bar branch arrangement. Again though, cheers for your take on this.
This is going to take some thinking. :lost:

Cheers!
Last edited by banksia on September 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

banksia wrote: but I still prefer your first effort. Yes, that would be two consecutive branches on the left. Thanks for your input :tu:
My vote goes for the first virts as that is what i was thinking when I first saw it. Its an aussie native so as Dennis mentioned it can break the "rules" anyway.
The foliage on the left looks to me like a tree fallen over and then regrowing on the upper side what is what happens here in nature anyway.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Will it be a bar branch?

I've (virtually) dragged it down a bit (not even sure if this is feasible).
I've also shortened a little for balance.
Last edited by Boics on September 23rd, 2015, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

I like the Boics virt, with the above branch lowered a little and shortened a bit.
The first virt looks unnatural and unbalanced. Don't break the rules just because you can.
Nature dictates that the tree moves to the right, a significant branch on the left will contradict nature. It might be interesting but for me it would be unsettling.
Good effort Boics!
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

I have to say I'm enjoying this discussion. Interesting that some people believe the first design breaks some rules. In a slanting style the first heavy branch is often on the opposite side of the lean as it receives more light. Right now I'm looking at Deb Koreshoff's book and I'm seeing many examples of this. Slanting trees can be symmetrical or asymmetrical and both are valid.
Having said that, I agree that the first design will be jarring to some people as it is deliberately meant to be a less relaxed image.
It comes down to what you're trying to portray. A tree leaning over a pond will look different to a tree leaning into a wind.

What's the story of this tree? How long have you had it? It's a beauty.

Matt.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

I'm glad you like it Matt...and anyone else for that matter.
I haven't many photos of it's development unfortunately. Something I'm sure a lot of us are guilty of....and I'm sure, regret...I know I do.
In the below threads are about the earliest photos I have of it left, also a little background to it's origin. Lost all earlier footage to computer crashes/problems.
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=8881&p=97347#p97347
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=19002&hilit=defoli ... difference
Still mulling over it for the moment, but I'm with you on the first virt.

Cheers!
Last edited by banksia on September 23rd, 2015, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Awesome Rhaph mate, very keen to see which way you eventually lean [pun intended].

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”