Swamp Cypress

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Swamp Cypress

Post by Homer911 »

I bought this swampy a couple of months ago when it was bare. Now that it has burst in spring i'm loking for some advice on what i should do with it.

Should i be wiring it now?

Should i be looking at ramification?

https://youtu.be/cHwdjywHG9w

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Swamp Cypress

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Homer,

I saw this slip through so though I'd give you my novice opinion :reading:

I'd be wiring it if you want the branches at a steeper angle. I like that style so am aiming for it in a couple I have growing. The wire marks on there are a good caution of just how quickly these grow. The wire does need to be checked very regularly.

I've been using a technique from Colin Lewis of guy wiring with small holes drilled through branch and anchor point so it can stay on with out biting in. Another one which seems to work well on young growth is wooden clothes pegs hanging from the branches.

I can't comment on ramification as what I'm trying to do hasn't had time time work. Or fail :palm: All I've done is cut back hard to shoots close to the trunk (although I don't think it is necessary to have shoots there) once it has reached the desired thickness.

Cheers Nigel
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Cheers nigel. I think i will start wiring soon to control the rapid growth.

The wire marks are from the previous owner. I have had experience with the wire bitting into the wood. It happens so quick.

Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Its been 2 months and this little swampy is going crazy.
2015-12-16 14.46.09.jpg
2015-12-16 14.00.08.jpg
2015-12-16 13.59.46.jpg
2015-12-16 13.59.29.jpg
I have wired - removed - and re-wired in 8 weeks. It grows like crazy.

I am letting the bottom grow a little to thicken the lower branches a little because the upper branches are biginning to get a little bigger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Homer, I also have a few swampy's and they grow very quickly and produce good bark at a young age.
I like your tree though the curved branches look a bit strange on a strong straight trunk. With straight trunks you usually have straight branches, curved trunks have curved branches. You may want to rethink the curves in those branches. Movement in the branches on a straight trunk is usually achieved by trimming back to a side branch which gives a more angular growth pattern. I look forward to seeing this tree in a few years.
ValooAU
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ValooAU »

Swamp Cypress can grow rapdily so I would be cautious with the wire. I'm currently letting mine grow out, but will probably just use guide wires when it's time for a styling.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

ValooAU wrote:Swamp Cypress can grow rapdily so I would be cautious with the wire. I'm currently letting mine grow out, but will probably just use guide wires when it's time for a styling.
Cheers ValooAU - any photos?

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”