Large jade tree

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
tombops
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 2

Large jade tree

Post by tombops »

Hi everyone this is my first post on the forum and I'm just after some styling advice on my jade. It was my first bonsai and I've had it for about 6 years now but I have never really done much with it. I've just got back into bonsai more seriously now I've just bought 2 new trees, 1 chinese elm and a Japanese maple and recently Repotted my jade in my own mix. Anyway a photo of my jade is attached any advice would help heaps. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
morrie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Large jade tree

Post by morrie »

i reckon you could cut the top off - about in line with the top brick on the BBQ and you'll have the basis for a second one.

one option for the main tree is to remove the straight trunk just above the first branch and make it the new leader -just remember when you cut these the segment below the cut dies off (and don't use cut paste)

be good to see what others say
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Jade don't grow that well here as its a bit cold, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and hope you enjoy it.
And before Ken chimes in, wiki is your friend.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tombops
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tombops »

yeah i was thinking about chopping just above the first branch but i don't want to go crazy and hack it to pieces as you can see I've already done with it haha. thanks for the idea, something to think about.

thanks for the welcome I've been reading the forum for a while and its been super helpful.
Last edited by tombops on September 21st, 2016, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toshtony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by toshtony »

Welcome to the forum, I'm also working on a Jade exactly the same as yours. When and where are you going to cut from if you were to make that side branch new leader, 1 or 2?

Good to see a few ppl currently working with jades will be nice to Compare notes in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tombops
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tombops »

I was actually just thinking about where I would cut it before I saw your post. I'll probably cut near 1 I think to make that the new leader but probably a little higher so I can make sure the die back doesn't effect the shape to much. I probably won't cut it till next season since I just Repotted it and gave it a good root prune so I think It could need some time to recover but if I should do it sooner please someone with more experience let me know. Could I see a photo of your jade to compare?
toshtony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by toshtony »

tombops wrote:I was actually just thinking about where I would cut it before I saw your post. I'll probably cut near 1 I think to make that the new leader but probably a little higher so I can make sure the die back doesn't effect the shape to much. I probably won't cut it till next season since I just Repotted it and gave it a good root prune so I think It could need some time to recover but if I should do it sooner please someone with more experience let me know. Could I see a photo of your jade to compare?
Here you go viewtopic.php?f=104&t=22854
tombops
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tombops »

Would someone be able to do a virtual design so I could get some ideas what it could end up looking like

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”