Dug-up Bauhinia

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Dug-up Bauhinia

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi All,
About 3 weeks ago I dug this Bauhinia. It was growing in heavy shade and the few branches it had were almost 2 metres long with hardly any leaves. It must be several years old as the stems are very stiff and brittle. It was surviving in very dry soil and I've put it into some cheap potting mix to see if it would survive. Also cut the stems back to about 40 cm. Since then it has back-budded everywhere, and since the pics were taken 3 days ago the shoots have more than tripled in length. Obviously it's surviving. Trouble is, I can't decide how to best proceed from here :palm: . It looks like I should split it into two separate plants, but they would still be too straight and "leggy". Should I shorten the stems some more? I wanted a slightly more advanced plant, so I don't want to cut it back to a stump. Would a literati style be the way to go?
I'd appreciate any ideas, comments etc. :mrgreen:
Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Dug-up Bauhinia

Post by Max »

i don't know anything about this one but looks like you'll have to cut low, too long and straight for literati unless you can get more movement in it, i'd suggest chop at the new growth at the base, select one leader rub the rest off, this will at least give you taper, as you mentioned it's growing quickly, then you can wire in movement,the two trunks are splitting away from each other so i'd only keep one on the left :2c: :o 8-)
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for your ideas, No Idea :lol: . No seriously thanks for your thoughts, :tu2: I think I'll go part-way with your suggestion and cut both stems down to about 10 cm. Then I'll split the plant and grow two separate plants and use the one for experimenting while being more cautious with the other.
Cheers, Frank
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

:lol: :lol: :whistle:

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”