Sweet Myrtle, raw material

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Sweet Myrtle, raw material

Post by Greth »

This plant has been growing in our garden for about 4 years, nibbled by kangaroos and rabbits, unwatered during the drought, and grew to about 10 inches rather than the expected 9 feet. In March I took a look under her leaves and decided to lift her for bonsai. She has now had a good time settling into a largish pot, and is well alive, although still in need of leaves on some branches. Time to think styling. I am sure she can be a good bonsai, but I am not taking cutters anywhere near her until I have had some feedback. I actually think she looks quite like a miniature tree in all respects now. Please offer your opinions, and be kind, Im a new member.
Myrtle Oct 09.jpg
I trimmed back some of the dead summer material to encourage new growth, seems to have worked on some branches, not on others. The dead looking bits are still live wood, there is still hope, and it does backbud readily - see the new little shoots in the fork.
Myrtle Oct 09, trunk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greth on October 31st, 2009, 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Sweet Myrtle, raw material

Post by Jamie »

this is some nice stock mate, i think you will find the tree within on the right hand side of the tree :D

i will come back with a quick virt soon :D and its good you got new shoots at the fork, they can soon become your new first branch :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

I can see that that curve is lovely, and the prominent root could be useful too, tho I only found it when I brushed aside the potting mix for the photo (why it is still damp and reddish)
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

its bloody rough but i am so hung over right now :lol: :lol:
it gives you the idea of what i see anyways.
i dont know if it would be a good idea to go with a broom style. i think the trunk has to much movement and potential :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

At the bend where the first branch hits, are you expecting me to bend the main trunk, or select a branch and use that for the trunk? There is a suitable branch in that place. Not sure I can bend the main trunk there.
MasonC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: None

Post by MasonC »

OMG! If this was in my yard I would probably pass out when I discovered it! Its almost perfect! I really don't think that you need to chop the left side off, I think it would make (or has already made) a nice informal broom style. Love it mate!
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Can I please borrow your ....kangaroos and rabbits? These guys are better bonsaists than me. I've nibbled crape myrtles for sometimes and my myrtles look like crabs lol.
Last edited by kvan64 on October 31st, 2009, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

You can borrow the roos if you can catch em, I think the cat has been culling the bunnies..
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Greth wrote:At the bend where the first branch hits, are you expecting me to bend the main trunk, or select a branch and use that for the trunk? There is a suitable branch in that place. Not sure I can bend the main trunk there.
select a branch after the chop to use for the new trunk line. it will be easier to bend. being thinner, i am pretty sure this species is brittle on older wood. so you only want to do little at a time. if you wire, branch benders might be a better option. only wire the new shoots or thin branches into place then use clip and grow.

probly a 5 year project. at a guess.
MasonC wrote:OMG! If this was in my yard I would probably pass out when I discovered it! Its almost perfect! I really don't think that you need to chop the left side off, I think it would make (or has already made) a nice informal broom style. Love it mate!
i do agree it could make a nice broom and an almost instant one to. but i think the lower movement of the trunk tells that it needs to be informal upright, to make it a broom though,
you would have to chop out an crossing branches and trunks. and prune back regularly to get the foliage in nice and tight.
this in itself has its challenges :D a convincing broom style tree is one of the hardest styles to develop in bonsai as you want it not only to look round/cresent from the front but in a tight circle looking down on it from the top.

just my opinion though :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

I dont think the trunk movement is wasted on a broom, to me it just adds a bit of class, as long as it is clearly visible.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Greth wrote:I dont think the trunk movement is wasted on a broom, to me it just adds a bit of class, as long as it is clearly visible.
just my opinion mate, you asked what we thought and that was my 2 cents. all good :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Even though broom style is the most typical style in nature for plants, I personally don't find it as interesting as other styles in bonsai. I would at least trim the folliage to defined clumps.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

nice material greth. i agree with jamie. the tree is in the first branch. but is definately worth a look at a broom variation. check out michael persianos box wood, 1st thumbnail in his gallery. ;) :D http://www.wix.com/mpersiano/Michael-Pe ... sai-Studio
Last edited by anttal63 on October 31st, 2009, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

quite good, i like the pads he has on it.

this tree of greth's could go either way...

:D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Actually we are up to three main possibilities here, jamie's upright, which is definitely worthy, I haven't decided yet, keep the whole tree as a broom, or the one anttal showed, which would mean losing the left branch, and having a narrower broom with the trunk showing more prominently
I do have a minor problem with the 5 year plan, I have been at this hobby daily for 3 years, and have exactly one bonsai to show for it, though plenty of good hopefuls. So GUILTY OF IMPATIENCE. You can send me to the naughty corner if you think it is warranted. (Must check lotto numbers to see if I can increase collection another way, lol.) This tree has already spent 4 years preparing itself, instead of growing into the nice flowering windbreak it was supposed to, and seems to have done a good job of it.
I would like to have a go at the broom style, I am already working on uprights with much more bendy trees, so havent worked with a broom canopy before, and would be interested to know more about it. This seems like a promising specimen to work with, and it will give me a better expanse of flowers, if I should be so lucky as to get it to flower. As brooms go, it won't be a boring one.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”