Moving to tropics

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Moving to tropics

Post by Beano »

Hi,

I'm moving my plants to cairns On Saturday from Brisbane. I've got a bunch of deciduous trees. Should I repot them now, or wait til Cairns for the buds to start forming? The complicating part is that I won't have much time to repot them this trip, so could I wait until August 7th to repot them again if I don't do it now? They are likely to have started leafing out again by then (Cairns overnight temps are usually not less than 16 degrees).
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Moving to tropics

Post by Bougy Fan »

If you wont have any time then do them down here now. They should be OK to do - nearly all of me maples and elms have lost their leaves.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
bamboos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives , figs
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by bamboos »

Hi Beano
I would be tempted to leave it until you get to Cairns - then repot when you can.If they are too far in leaf then leave till next year.
The plants will be firm in the pots not loose like you get when repotting. So less likely to suffer from rough handling.
Or get rid of them all and fill up with figs , temple bells and more tropical plants :whistle:
Good luck with the move
Steve
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

I could potentially do them after 10th July. I definitely want to do them this year to get them into better potting mix. But yes, I figure they will wobble more in the car as new repots. Can't wait to get away from this bloody possum. Mine are pretty much bare because it keeps eating them >:(
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Well, I had to dig some out of their pots to fit in the car. About 7 trees went wrapped in cling wrap and plastic bags. From doing this I have realised that my potting medium is hopeless. I will not be using coarse sand again.

Is scoria/quincan equivalent to diatomite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bamboos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bamboos »

Hi Beano
Scoria is not the same as diatomite - it doesn't have as nearly as much water holding capacity and is heavier than diatomite.
You are moving to an area not far from a scoria mine at Yungaburra on the Atherton Tablelands. Landscape suppliers in Cairns sell the scoria as landscaping material in under 5 mm and 5 to 10 mm( I think that's the sizes) neither of which are much good for bonsai mediums the under 5 mm is probably 1/3 dust and the 10 mm is too coarse.I have got the mine to do a 2 to 5 mm which in my opinion is the ideal but I had to pay an extra $2 a bag . If you are interested pm me and I'll give you the guys name and phone no
Steve
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Moving to tropics

Post by Beano »

I'm not sure what I need. I want good drainage but something easily wettable again. Seems like the sand in my current mix causes layering in my medium after watering, then the sand tends to dry and is impossible to wet again - you think it's watered because water comes out the bottom but it's just going through the path of least resistance and most of it stays dry.

Is there some good potting mix in a sack I can use reliably for another year? I was interested in diatomite because everyone raves about it and also it's curl grub central up here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beano on July 6th, 2014, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bamboos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bamboos »

Hi Beano
Diatomite mixes hold water well and are easily rewettable. They are usually (but not always ) made with the addition of gravel , potting mix , composted pine bark and coco peat. The gravel can be scoria granite sandstone Canarvon river sand - whatever is available.
Cairns has a bonsai club so perhaps join and ask the locals what they use or perhaps Ash or one of the local Ausbonsai members will chime in!
There has been some talk of cactus and succulent mix from the green shed but I have no experience with this.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”