Fly ash as potting mix

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Fly ash as potting mix

Post by dansai »

Has anyone used fly ash for bonsai mix. My dad got some for fill in a size of 10-20mm and although it would need sifting it is only $15 a meter. Any experience anyone. :?:
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
AshBrown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Central Coast

Re: Fly ash as potting mix

Post by AshBrown »

I use 10mm drainage ash (fly ash) product from the power stations added to our potting mix for a variety of bonsai stock(mostly pines and a couple of conifers) and have been doing so for a few years now. It gives a better drainage and far more oxygen in soil mix ie less chance of rot from extended wet periods.

I have found it does require slightly more waterings than regular potting mix. I have fewer "rejected" plants and near zero death rates on a bed of 1000 black pine seedlings in first twelve months. With our regular potting mix i would always have a few.

I hope this helps
Ashley
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

What is Fly Ash? I sprinkle wood ash and charcoal onto of my pots? It seems to invigorate some plants.

Sorry to be such a twit?

Bush Bunny
AshBrown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Central Coast

Post by AshBrown »

It is a by-product of powers stations. It goes by fly ash or drainage ash. It can be from a few mm to about 40mm. Hard very irregular shaped lightweight material. Picture attached hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

This stuff is sourced from a local power station and mixed with the yard scrapings(lanscape yard- all the spilled product, dirt, sand and rock) to make a cheap fill. It appears similar to pumice and i assume would hold some water. A lot cheaper than diatomite but was wondering how it would preform as a major component. I'm on my phone at the moment so will do some more research when I return home tomorrow.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Apparently not so good for crysathanthium or turf grass, but good for tomatoes.
http://www.flyash.info/2005/206cho.pdf

Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

I have used it for 25 years in a commercial nursery. I used to add it to improve drainage, absorb water and release it when needed, but in small quantities added to the potting mix.
Before deciding to use it for bonsai I decided to check the PH....it was 14...So I was scared to use it. Tried to put it in acid bath to neutralize it....but it still leaches alcaline.
We call it clinker here...it is a product from burning coal in kilns.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Thanks Neli. The pH was something I was worried about too.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”