Akadama soil mix? Is this simliar

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Akadama soil mix? Is this simliar

Post by Bush bunny »

DSC02312 Soil grit mix 3.JPG
I read a lot about Japanese Akadama soil mix, sorry about the spelling. I believe you can get it in Australia but it is very expensive. Would this mix do as a substitute? It's 100% Australia clay. It is kitty litter. But I soaked it over night in water, and although the outside of the particles dissolved to color the water reddish, it left small grit in its wake. I usually throw in a handful into a mix. Advice welcolmed. :reading: I would add more for some, e.g. ficus. :aussie: :aussie:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: Akadama soil mix? Is this simliar

Post by Bougy Fan »

No it's no good if it breaks down - it will turn mushy and clog up the mix which is no good for bonsai. If you go this topic HERE which you have posted in there is a link to Harry Harringtons bonsai4me website. There is an excellent article in there about determining the suitability of cat litter as a substrate.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on September 15th, 2014, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I would never trust any form of Kitty litter.
They are prone to change their ingredients at any time to suit there own availability.

There are many other products to use as soils that are readily available to everyone.
If you do not have the real mcoy nearby, or are prepared to ship it in, then i would stick to a Quality commercial mix from Bunning or equivalent.

Soil components I would use as components if available.
Diatomite
Zeolite
Pumice
Akadama
Kanuma
Pine bark
Decomposed Granite
Coir peat
River Sand

I would start out reviewing Grant soil mix testing here and go from there
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5745&hilit=soil+components+grant

Kne
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

DSC02317 Clay soaked five hours..JPG
I soaked or just covered and soaked the batch of clay particles with water, at 10.45 am. 5 hours later, the particles were still apparent and had not clued together, the water was red as expected, but not claggy. So - this 100% Australian clay kitty litter is not like the other grey type, that dissolves into mush. I would say just a little bit won't harm mixed in. No perfume or additives to this kitty litter by the way. Just thought I would mention it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DavidWilloughby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: IBS

Post by DavidWilloughby »

Bush bunny wrote:I soaked or just covered and soaked the batch of clay particles with water, at 10.45 am. 5 hours later, the particles were still apparent and had not clued together, the water was red as expected, but not claggy. So - this 100% Australian clay kitty litter is not like the other grey type, that dissolves into mush
5 hours is hardly enough time to suggest a result to be honest. Personally there is far better and more suitable material one can use for their Bonsai soil mix and would avoid "Kitty Litter" like the plague.

A few people have used the clay balls that are used to grow hydroponics, but they will eventually dissolve and breakdown over a period of time that will lead to clogging up the mix and drainage holes in the pot, resulting in a weaker tree. I used Korean expanded clay for a while when I could get it, it was fired at a higher temp. and lasts, but that is no longer an option as the manufacturer closed down in the late 90's.

Use the KISS method for Soil, I honestly think a lot of people complicate matters by over thinking things.

Cheers

David
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

If you have only few bonsais, a commercial mix will do. Even a good quality general garden mix will suffice. Both you can add extras to; diatomite, zeolite, expand clays etc. For mine I use Searles bonsai mix, which can be used as a base for the extras if you want, laterly I've started adding diatomite 1:5 of Searles mix. Cost Searles bonsai mix at present is $7.90 per10 litre bag, relatively cheap for what it does. My plants seem to thrive in it :imo: ;)
Cheers Rod
macca66
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by macca66 »

I'm with you David, overthinking is a problem.
I've generally used "Sashia-eida" ?? Mix for the last 10years with no problem because it's easy for me to get. I run 10 litres of coarse grit through a 25 litre bag and Bob's your uncle!
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

I add scoria with good results.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Bush bunny wrote: I believe you can get it in Australia but it is very expensive.
If you try to go cheap you will only run into trouble. I think nearly everyone on here has tried it and there is a reason the more experienced growers on here use what they use, cause it works every time. As Ken said the problem with kitty litter is it isn't made for trees so provided it soaks up the cats #%^*£€} they can change it whenever to whatever. Trust me I tried it. I got a bag that looked like the rest but it just went to a big mushy pile when wet. They had change the ingredients. It's not worth going cheap if you want good trees. Poor soil can reduce growth, reduce health and increase disease and insects. Not worth the hassle. Follow the advise given on here in so many threads about soil from the people who have tried and tested it.

My :2c:
Josh
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Well you were all right. I poured the clay and water onto one of my plants, and the residue stuck together. Still particles but the orange stuff was cluggy. :lol:
deepeetee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aust. Natives
Bonsai Club: Central Coast, NSW

Post by deepeetee »

Ive tried that many variations of mixture (i think its a rite of passage) and in the end i went with the KISS method.

1 part Zeolite
1 part Coir Peat
1 part potting mix

Its light, good water retention and works.

Everyone has their favourite mix, i think the earlier you find your favourite mix the better.

But it Keep it Simple.

Dave
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

Thank everyone, yes, I agree with finding your favorite mix. :aussie: There are variables obviously depending on water retention etc., for a particular species or genus. And where you place your bonsai, and also where you live. So many micro-climatic regions around states, and also in and around one's neighborhood. I take a greenhouse thermometer to measure temps during the day and night, including inside. Because Armidale is a temperate zone, and is 3,500 ft above sea level. It's no unusual for me to watch the weather and temp reports.
E.G. One day we could have temps of 20 C during the day, and it drop to minus at night. No cloud cover we get frost. This is spring of course for us here. And we can get frosts into October?

I have found peat moss if there is too much tends to slow down water drainage, I have stopped adding too much of it, like 20% to basic bonsai mix. Prefer Sphagmun instead.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Bush bunny wrote:
DSC02312 Soil grit mix 3.JPG
I read a lot about Japanese Akadama soil mix, sorry about the spelling. I believe you can get it in Australia but it is very expensive. Would this mix do as a substitute? It's 100% Australia clay. It is kitty litter. But I soaked it over night in water, and although the outside of the particles dissolved to color the water reddish, it left small grit in its wake. I usually throw in a handful into a mix. Advice welcolmed. :reading: I would add more for some, e.g. ficus. :aussie: :aussie:

If that is the same stuff that is available in Melbourne then you are wasting you time and money :lost: (the packaging was recently given a facelift). The contents aren't described anymore but it would most likely be attapulgite.
I tried a bag of that 4-5 years ago and it killed what was planted in it (It tends to be highly alkaline), the contents of the test pot and the other 95% still in the bag turned to mush after rain and extended damp :shake:
Try pumice, it's great ;)
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bush bunny »

It said on the bag 100% Australian clay kitty litter, more absorbent than normal kitty litter. I got it from Coles for $5.00 and was really more an experiment than anything else. It is made by Chandlers, from 100% Attapulgite. :?: :aussie: Also says good soil conditioner if dug into gardens. (beds)?
Improves water conservation in sandy soils. Which it would. So it has some use, not necessarily on mass in a pot and I throw a handful into a large volume of my bonsai mix, and mix it in. After a disaster almost with grey kitty litter used instead of grit over drainage holes, that set in a mushy concrete clogging the drainage holes. Luckily I removed the juniper before too much harm was done and re-potted it. :aussie:

I thought at 5 bucks for 5 kg, was OK. Lasts a while.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Yep, that's the stuff I used, turned to mush on me :palm:

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”