Help a newbie out in repotting, Please

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
RevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Help a newbie out in repotting, Please

Post by RevoEvoS »

Ray M wrote:Hi RevoEvoS,
Funny that I went to Ray Nesci yesterday morning for Bonsai Wire since the usual place I go to didn't bundles.
Guess I have to visit him sometime in March. Is it optional to plant the colander into the ground opposed to using it like a pot?
Yes, I use colanders as my normal pots.
IMG_6989 -2.jpg
If I am working on increasing the girth of a tree, the colander and tree will go into the ground. When planting a colander in the ground, only plant it to under the rim.
IMG_3230 -2.jpg
Regards Ray
I have a Pre Cotoneaster bonsai that I want to train it into a Cascade, how will I got about training it if its going to be in a Colander. The girth is about 2 cm in thickness, is it better to train it now while its in a colander than waiting later. Where the girth/branch will become harder to bend and manipulate when it becomes 5cm+ in size.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: Help a newbie out in repotting, Please

Post by Ray M »

I have a Pre Cotoneaster bonsai that I want to train it into a Cascade, how will I got about training it if its going to be in a Colander. The girth is about 2 cm in thickness, is it better to train it now while its in a colander than waiting later. Where the girth/branch will become harder to bend and manipulate when it becomes 5cm+ in size.
Hi RevoEvoS,
Yes mate, no matter if it's a colander or a black pot do all your training with the picture in mind of what you want the tree to look like when eventually placed in a bonsai pot. I keep my trees in colanders up until I think it can be considered a bonsai, realizing that there will continue to be training for the rest of it's life, even after it is placed in a pot.

Regards Ray

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”