experiment on repotting..Junipers, Cedar.

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

experiment on repotting..Junipers, Cedar.

Post by bodhidharma »

I know we have set ideas on when to repot and , upon experimentation here in Central Victorian Highlands, i know i can exceed the recommended repot time on deciduous trees and have repotted Elms as late as January and Maples as late as December with success. Although my optimum time is late winter and early spring for exotics and early Summer for natives, my Juni's and other evergreen trees i have panicked with and have always tried to do them inside the required window. This means a lot of them do not get repotted regularly enough. I know i can slip pot them if their health is suffering and have done so on many occasions but this year i am conducting my own experiment. I have just repotted two juni's and a Cedar two days ago. They are not starter trees but trees i have been working on for a while and not just repotted but did extensive rootwork on to get them into much smaller pots. If i succeed i can extend my window and change my routine of repotting. The Elms and Maples i repotted did not miss a beat so we will see. I have taken nice shots in case they cark it and, at the least, i will have a photo of them. If it succeeds i am not advocating it can be done but encouraging you to experiment with your own micro climate. Aftercare is having them out of the wind in dappled shade and mist spraying them a few times a day. It is documented and now we will see. :fc: Please feel free to input and add your experience to the thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on November 24th, 2011, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: experiment on repotting..Junipers, Cedar.

Post by MattA »

Hey Bodhi,

Great thread and the only way we will learn to push our art is to experiment. I dont think you will have any problems with them not coming back. In my opinion good aftercare is more important than timing.

My own experience with juni's & cedars is limited. I repotted a large literati procumbens juni last january for my mentor, we did extensive root work & also removed 90% of the soil in the process. After care was similar to yours,it kicked back with loads of new growth & also triggered lots of back buds on the main trunk. My large cedar was barerooted & they were reduced radically before ground planting in October, it has just gone from strength to strength.

Deciduous trees I dont really stress about when I do them, spring summer autumn or winter. Before leaf break is the only time I will dig ground growing stuff but a pot its easy to control the microclimate until they establish again. Natives I also do whenever I feel they need it, regrowth is faster if done in the warmer months. Digging from the ground the best time is late winter early spring.

Look forward to hearing others experiences.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Hi Diederik, I'll be very interested in this one ... I was advised by another reputable bonsai nursery that they repot junipers year round "363 days a year" just with the disclaimer that they recommended time of late winter to be optimal.

Personally I too have previously repotted trident maples late spring with only minor imperfections to the first round of new leaves as a result.

I think that there are a lot of other factors at play that personalise each situation including; how different the new soil/potting media is to the original; how much old soil is removed; how much root work is done; watering and feeding regimes; seasonal weather fluctuations; as well as aforementioned micro-climatic conditions.

I thought I'd missed the boat for my old juniper this year as I've been busy researching and sourcing new media for potting mixes, and I'll probably play it safe for this year, as my new mixes are vastly different to what I'd used previously, and a lot of root disturbance will take place.

... thought I have just repotted a PJ Fig and plan on doing a couple of other natives this weekend (as this IS the preferred time for them :whistle: )

Thanks for taking the "risk" for us all, but I think you'll be fine :fc: I'm always interested when people challenge convention and hope this one pays off :tu: :2c:

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bodhi , can't see a problem , its all in the after care as you have said and done . I collect and transplant all year round .Slip pot and bare root .I have just planted out 60 odd Atlas Cedars , bare rooted and into the ground ,Unfortunately i haven,t covered them as it way to big a task at the moment , only 2 have gone wheels up , but the weather hasn't been kind ,30 plus degree's here on 2 occasions and i was i Hospital for 3 days so they weren't watered either .

You might get a little needle drop on the cedar but they seem o bounce back .I have collected them 3-4-5 year old self sown seedling in Summer and had 75 success rate without too much after care only under 70 %s hade cloth . Can i get a close up of the foliage on tree number 1 , i have a excellent old book with dozens of junipers and cultivars listed .

Cheers Alpine
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Diederik, I think your cedar is a deodar and they are indestructible so it shouldn't present any problems at all. I root prune my atlas cedars in January during the hot weather and they seldom drop a needle, I would be reluctant to do them at this time of year while the new foliage is still very soft. I have no idea about junipers as I grow so few of them.
Craigw
Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Radiata pine
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Brian »

Hi Craig,
glad you repot the cedars in January. our old mate Jack T always taught this when lecturing at the bonsai society.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

alpineart wrote: Can i get a close up of the foliage on tree number 1 , i have a excellent old book with dozens of junipers and cultivars listed .
No probs Alpine. An i.d would be great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

MattA wrote: Look forward to hearing others experiences.
Me too Matt.
cre8ivbonsai wrote: I'm always interested when people challenge convention and hope this one pays off :tu: :2c:
Cheers Ryan, I do not know and have to find out. A great Aussie Bonsai artist visited me and bought an established Pre bonsai Juniper and was heading home to do root work on it. It was out of season and i said so. His reply was..i dont worry about those things! Upon reflection we listen to Bonsai stories and the knowledge is mainly Japanese based and our climate is vastly different to Japan's. So.. we have to experiment and if we sacrifice a few trees in the doing, so be it.
craigw60 wrote: I think your cedar is a deodar and they are indestructible so it shouldn't present any problems at all
Thanks Craig, i knew the deodora thing but certainly did not know the indestructible thing. Makes me look differently at them now.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I don't understand why you would want to experiment.
It only takes a few mins. to repot a small tree so why not wait for the right time of year and do it then :?:
Mike
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

treeman wrote:It only takes a few mins. to repot a small tree so why not wait for the right time of year and do it then
One tree yes treeman, but not when you have thousands. :whistle:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Bodhi , mate the pics not crystal clear but i would be looking at Juniperus viginiana or one of the 60 odd cultivar , unfortunately the Juniperus x media has a vast array of specimens both upright and prostrate .Cheers Alpine
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

alpineart wrote: Hi Bodhi , mate the pics not crystal clear but i would be looking at Juniperus viginiana or one of the 60 odd cultivar , unfortunately the Juniperus x media has a vast array of specimens both upright and prostrate .Cheers Alpine
Difficult to get a closeup of foliage and have it clear. For the pro's i think. i really appreciate the effort Alpine, Ta :tu2:
Stewart_Toowoomba
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle, banksia, figs
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Toowoomba Bonsai Group Inc.

Post by Stewart_Toowoomba »

bodhidharma wrote:
treeman wrote:It only takes a few mins. to repot a small tree so why not wait for the right time of year and do it then
One tree yes treeman, but not when you have thousands. :whistle:

ouch!! :P

The dove of peace flies to palace as to humble house, to young as to old, to rich and poor. So does the spirit of bonsai. (John Naka)

Check out our club's website at http://www.toowoombabonsai.com
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Diederik, your Juniper looks a lot like J.sabina looks at this time of year.

I can confirm that repotting Junipers can be done well out of what is considered the ideal season, if good aftercare (semi shade placement, damp not too moist hydration and foliar humidity)is provided. I am only just starting to repot my procumbens, shimpaku and squamatas now and thanks to Craigs advice a couple of years ago, I'm waiting on the 30 degree days in Summer before hooking into my Cedars. I haven't repotted anything in winter for many years, I was advised by a 50 year bonsai veteran to wait for early signs of life in buds and shoots in all tree species for optimum results.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

100_9185.jpg[/attachment[attachment=0]100_9186.jpg
]
100_9183.jpg
!
100_9181.jpg
100_9182.jpg
Hi Bodhi , Its probably easier for you to compare these to your Bonsai than vice versa , any likely candidate .The foliage on the Virginia has a blue/silver hew unfortunately i was shooting into the sunlight

Cheers Alpine
Last edited by alpineart on November 26th, 2011, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”