Bad batch of diatomite.

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
IanN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Bad batch of diatomite.

Post by IanN »

Hi Paul, We've tracked back as best we can to determine if there was anything out of the ordinary with the batch of diatomite sent to Enfield Produce. Unfortunately we've drawn a blank.

This does happen from time to time. Diatomite is a natural product and as such there is variability in the material that we mine from the ground. While we do our best to assure consistency, sometimes we fail. It's as simple as that.

What I suggest to you and anyone else that has a problem with "mushy" diatomite is that you send us a sample, say 100g, of the offending material to:

Mt Sylvia Diatomite, PO Box 448, Gatton, QLD, 4343.

Include your preferred contact details and a return postal address and we will send you a replacement bag of diatomite.

bonborn, thanks for posting those links. I was quite surprised when I went to those sites. While the websites refer to Kleensorb Diatomite, the bag represented in the photograph, is NOT our material. At least I don't recognise the bag and doubt very much that it contains our diatomite. I would be most interested to hear if anyone has purchased this material.

I've been in touch with Blackwoods/Protector and we are trying to sort this out. I should say that we have sold Kleensorb to both of these companies in the past.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

IanN wrote:
bonborn, thanks for posting those links. I was quite surprised when I went to those sites. While the websites refer to Kleensorb Diatomite, the bag represented in the photograph, is NOT our material. At least I don't recognise the bag and doubt very much that it contains our diatomite. I would be most interested to hear if anyone has purchased this material.

I've been in touch with Blackwoods/Protector and we are trying to sort this out. I should say that we have sold Kleensorb to both of these companies in the past.
I know there has been one person who did purchase from Blackwoods before and they received your Kleensorb diatomite 2-7mm. I am about to place an order with them.

Ian any chance you guys might start selling direct to non bulk buying clients. There are many users here who use diatomite or would like to use it but it's hard to access.
IanN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by IanN »

bonborn, Mt Sylvia Diatomite is a manufacturing company that wholesales its products. We're not really set up for a mail order type of business and selling by the bag is just not practical for us.

The best approach is for clubs or groups of users to get together and purchase a pallet (50 Kleensorb bags) and store it at some central location. Happy to discuss this with individuals if they wish. This already happens and we supply several bonsai groups directly.

customerservice@mtsylviadiatomite.com
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

See the kitty litter mention on the label. I used some kitty litter and it went to mush at the bottom of my re-pot of my Juniper, so wouldn't drain. I had to re-pot it using just grit at the bottom.
IanN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by IanN »

Hi bush bunny, all kinds of materials are used for kitty litter, not just diatomite, Many of these are so called "clumping"type products. You don't mention which kitty litter you tried but I note that you are a member of Canberra Bonsai club. This club has been purchasing our product for about three years and thus far, we have had no complaints.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Bush bunny wrote:See the kitty litter mention on the label. I used some kitty litter and it went to mush at the bottom of my re-pot of my Juniper, so wouldn't drain. I had to re-pot it using just grit at the bottom.
A few years ago, I think Bretts did some comparisons and found that most of them turned to mush quickly while there was one that seemed to be good. A bit later he found that they had changed the product to the stuff that went mushy.

Morale was that Kitty Litter is bad generally unless you strike it lucky.
you would have to test every batch to make sure of what you were getting

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on August 19th, 2014, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bamboos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives , figs
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by bamboos »

Hi Bonbon
I don't know about the protector diatomite but the Blackwoods one should be ok
When you pick it up compare the bag with the photos posted by Ken if it's not the same tread carefully ! Blackwoods in qld sell the mt Sylvia diatomite so I assume it the same with all their branches
Steve
Last edited by bamboos on August 19th, 2014, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Post by thoglette »

kcpoole wrote:Morale was that Kitty Litter is bad generally unless you strike it lucky.
"Lucky" for me means VitaPet Purrfit Litter Clay - apparently NZ Zeolite
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

My online order with Blackwoods was cancelled by them stating it's not something they stock regularly and needs to be ordered in but they can't commit to ordering 50bags which is minimum purchase from the supplier. Might try out a protector safe branch but i feel both blackwoods and protectorsafe is the same company under different names.
dandybonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: 0
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by dandybonsai »

You are correct they are owned by Wesfarmers LTd,but operate as separate business within the group having to met a mark within Wesfarmers.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

No luck with protector either. Said minimum order 50. Can't order it in. Looks like enfield produce.
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by AGarcia »

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I have had the same problem with mushy diatomite sold as Kleensorb purchased from Pet Super Store in Stafford. I will send them a sample as mentioned in the posts.

I suggest that anyone buying bags test it out before using it with your trees.

Hopefully they are willing to replace the 4 bags that i purchased. I usually buy in bulk.
AG
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

I agree that the new batches are softer than last years but the ones I have do not go mushy when wet.
I have left Kleensorb out in the open over the last 6-8 weeks where it was subjected to periods of water logging, dry and dampness. During this time the Kleensorb did not become mushy like attapulgite will, it held its shape quite well.
The only way I see the current batches being problematic is if you are pulverising it during potting as it will only break up through mechanical action which is going to be minimal at most in a pot :2c:
Black Knight
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai Inc

Post by Black Knight »

Hi Damian,
For the record, my latest Kleensorb bag is not even in a pot. Just left some on the sieve out in the open, rained upon and half has turned to paste the other half stayed as original. Even the contents in the bag are crumbling and becoming pasty from the moisture in the air fwith the rain. Definately, different from previous.
Regards
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

If you're in trouble for a grit that holds moisture, you could consider pumice from Ausperl in Broadmeadow, down by Botany Bay. I've found it useful.

Gavin

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”