Soil question (Beginner)

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Soil question (Beginner)

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Seems like people use all different things for bonsai mix... :lost:

Really depends on your watering etc.

Just to add another, I use Akadama/Pumice/Scoria.
luivco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by luivco »

A beginner myself, I only just this week did a repot with a new soil mix.

I'm in Sydney so I went to Enfield Pet and Produce and got some Kleensorb (diatomite) and mixed it with Bonsai Environment's pre-mix, which also contains some zeolite. Of course I don't know how well it works yet, but I'm quite confident it'll go well.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

You do need to be careful with bagged products in big department stores.
The bottom line is 'all that matters for the company that puts the product on the shelf is max profit for minimum outlay.' This is why you get highly irregular products.
Consumer culture in general is a disposable one and marketers know it, another reason why you get irregular products.
Quarried materials can vary in consistency due to the deposits being mined.
Products like pine bark are created in fairly stable situations and quality control is a lot easier.

When products are bagged for use as cat litter or other non horticultural uses, you should be doubly careful when using them for bonsai and even more so if you have put time into your trees and value them.
Those products which are used for non horticultural purposes are generally in that category for good reason. As an example, salt toxicity in imported Zeolites has been a expensive lesson in the agricultural/horticultural industry.

It's great to sample and explore different materials :reading:
There is a lot of information on potting media components on this forum which has been the result of a lot of research from those who have been down this road already.

There are a lot of materials which have a good track record in use for bonsai and there are more which don't get a look in due to pure bias.
It's all there, just type some keywords into the search box :cool:
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

luivco wrote:A beginner myself, I only just this week did a repot with a new soil mix.

I'm in Sydney so I went to Enfield Pet and Produce and got some Kleensorb (diatomite) and mixed it with Bonsai Environment's pre-mix, which also contains some zeolite. Of course I don't know how well it works yet, but I'm quite confident it'll go well.
Should be execellent performing mix :yes:
Mixing Known supply of Diatomite is a great way to improve any mix and even better with a good one :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:
thoglette wrote: I like VitaPet Purrfit Litter Clay which is available at Big W.
Not any more - anyone know who else stocks this?
Heard back from VitaPet - they've reorganised the range and that product no longer exists.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:Heard back from VitaPet - they've reorganised the range and that product no longer exists.
I've found another supply of at Woodvale Fish and Lily farm in WA. http://www.woodvalefishandlilyfarm.com. ... vel-3-4ml/ 3-4mm gravel in 10kg bags

I will get some and report back
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get a list together for some soil supplies and I realise that the subject will have any number of varied answers and personal preferences but this being my first repot season I want to keep things relatively simple and use what is locally available and fortunately there seems to be quite a lot of bonsai material around.

Would a basic mix of Akadama, pumice and charcoal be fine to use as a first soil mix or is it lacking?
They have Akadama in 3 sizes shohin, standard and thick and 2 sizes of pumice standard or thick plus the charcoal is a thick grained bamboo charcoal. I was thinking the standard size for both Akadama and pumice.
Does this sound about right?

I'm perfectly happy to experiment with differing mixes later on but for now just want something that is reliable enough to see me through.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Starfox
never heard of using charcoal before [not saying they don't just never heard of it , sort of think it might be a bit soft ] I use a graded pine bark meant for orchids. You would need to get a quality brand in which the pine bark pieces are all uniform in size of around 4-5 mm . I mix this with pumice and diatomite. I use pumice if I can't get diatomite and vice versa. Never tried akadama as is to pricey and from what i've read on the forum here, it appears that pumice and diatomite are superior to akadama
peterb
Last edited by peterb on January 11th, 2016, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus

Post by Starfox »

Hi Peter and thanks for the response.

I have been looking all over for that type of bark and am yet to locate any locally and even online when I type in orchid bark I get mainly stuff for lizard and snake habitats, not sure if that is the same or not, it doesn't seem fine enough from what I can see.
I have seen charcoal in some peoples mixes and when I saw it available at the local store I thought it may be a good substitute for the bark but in fairness I have no idea.
The store likes to recommend a mix called Terrabonsai for those starting off which I think is Akadama, volcanics(not sure what exactly) and moss. This is also an option as it seems streets ahead of any other bonsai premix I have seen but it takes a bit of the learning away instead of experimenting with your own mix.
I figure there is no harm in starting off with an Akadama mix as I know it is available and it is tried and tested and from what I can see is diatomaceous earth is rather more expensive here but I would have no issue experimenting with it later.
Last edited by Starfox on January 11th, 2016, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:
thoglette wrote:Heard back from VitaPet - they've reorganised the range and that product no longer exists.
I've found another supply of at Woodvale Fish and Lily farm in WA. http://www.woodvalefishandlilyfarm.com. ... vel-3-4ml/ 3-4mm gravel in 10kg bags
I will get some and report back
Ok, have my first bag at hand. Co-branded with both "Zeolitewa.com.au" and "Tropistone". It's a lot more red-brick colour than the Purfit stuff (which was almost white). Looks nice and firm (unlike some of the spill-kit/BBQ stuff I've seen). Good size.

So far so good. Forgot to test the pH. :shock:

ps - trying charcol. Get the good stuff - DIY charcol will tend to be very high pH due ash.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Re: Zeolite
[quote]"Suspect that means the closest source of Zeolite (of any nationality) is going to be Nesci's Nursery. Has anybody in Sydney found an alternative source of Zeolite recently?"

Hello Everyone,

My local Produce supplier directly sources the Zeolite for Nesci's. This is SPECIAL ORDER ONLY.

Discussing this with them last year, on their next order I asked for 5 bags. The produce company rang and I collected my 5 x 15kg Zeolite bags today @ $20.40 each.

Ironic, i had just finished reading the MSDS from Zeolite Australia.

Maybe, with enough Sydney sales i could ask for a SPECIAL Ausbonsai order?

Kevin
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Kevin wrote:Re: Zeolite
"Suspect that means the closest source of Zeolite (of any nationality) is going to be Nesci's Nursery. Has anybody in Sydney found an alternative source of Zeolite recently?"

Hello Everyone,

My local Produce supplier directly sources the Zeolite for Nesci's. This is SPECIAL ORDER ONLY.

Discussing this with them last year, on their next order I asked for 5 bags. The produce company rang and I collected my 5 x 15kg Zeolite bags today @ $20.40 each.

Kevin
Who is the supplier and who is the commercial distributer? I have just requested lux cuttings in sydney get some stock in. They are looking into it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Homer911 wrote:
Kevin wrote:Re: Zeolite
"Suspect that means the closest source of Zeolite (of any nationality) is going to be Nesci's Nursery. Has anybody in Sydney found an alternative source of Zeolite recently?"

Hello Everyone,

Kevin
Who is the supplier and who is the commercial distributer? I have just requested lux cuttings in sydney get some stock in. They are looking into it.

Hello Homer911,

How did you go with Lux cuttings?
What suburb are they in Sydney?

Kevin
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Kevin wrote: Lux cuttings
What suburb are they in Sydney?

Kevin
Easter trading hours:
Half day Saturday April 4th,(close at 1:30pm)
Closed Good Friday April 3rd & Easter Monday April 6th

We are lucky enough to be set up with an indoor loading area and a discreet back entrance with parking at the rear.
We are open: Mon-Fri 11:30AM – 5:30PM & Sat 11:30AM – 3.30PM (Or by appointment outside these hours)
Phone: 02 9663 0473
Email: luxcuttings@gmail.com
Fine us at: Shop 2/273 Anzac Parade, Kingsford
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Still on going. He was meant to get back to me last friday. He mentioned that he would have to order a bulk order in of 1 tonne. I think he thinks that he may not get rid of it all.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”