Soil question (Beginner)

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Soil question (Beginner)

Post by Homer911 »

OK. I was told that i would have to purchase the full 1 tonne!!! Thats $850 for 40 bags of 25kg.

Im not sure ill use 1000kg of zeolite in my lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Homer911 on February 10th, 2016, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Homer,

Try - ACE Ohlsson Pty - http://www.aceohlsson.com.au

They service all the agricultural and horticultural people within 300km of the Sydney CBD with 6 retail outlets (i think).

On their Home Page - Under Product Manuals (left of page) - Open fertilisers - and scroll down to Soil Conditioners - you will find Zeolite.

Alternatively, a nice drive to Quirindi NSW and you'll be able to collect your own direct from their mine site. Quotes from the mining companies product brochure - "Castle Mountain Zeolites is a locally owned and run" - "mining and processing of what is arguably the finest, commercially available natural zeolites in Australia. "

Let me know how you go.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on February 10th, 2016, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Thanks Kevin, I will send them an email and see what they say.

If they cant supply any i think I will use Vermiculite instead. Its so much easier to source and it has some amazing water retention properties.

Last edited by Homer911 on February 10th, 2016, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Homer,
The water holding capacity of Vermiculite is extremely high.
For that reason it is a good product to use.
However, only in small doses and mixed with better draining materials - i recommend no more than 5% (by volume) of your total mixture.
Use too much and your bonsai roots will not only need a snorkel - they will also be an easy target for the onset of disease.
That has been my experience.

Don't give up on Zeolite, try:

ACE Ohlsson Pty Ltd
1675 The Northern Rd
Bringelly NSW 2556

Trading hours: 8 am – 4 pm, Monday to Friday

Telephone: +61 2 4774 8164
Fax: +61 2 4773 3068

Kevin
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Cheers mate, i have read that vermiculite has an amazing capillary action that alows the roots to absorb the water as it requires it.

Yeah, i have heard that only a little is required.

I was thinking of using 80% pumice and 20% vermiculite for my thirsty trees and only 10% for everything else.

So have you experimented with different quantities of Vermiculite Kevin?

Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Hello Homer,

Vermiculite is also a very unreliable product. In Sydney, Auspearl will be the manufacturer, this is copied from their websites fine print:

"If wetness is a problem substitute up to half of the vermiculite with AUSPERL perlite (grade P500) AUSPERL vermiculite is not recommended for azaleas, rhododendrons and other lime-allergic plants. Excessive compaction and over watering can impair results."

Not "if wetness" - when the vermiculite becomes compacted it instantly becomes water logged, that is, no drainage whatsoever and considering it holds about 5 times its volume in water :o and it's out of timing for bare rooting - slip potting won't help either, not to mention disease. :cry:

Personally, i am all but back to my old hydroponic days with my bonsai - regarding medium, water and fertilising. I recently made a batch of bonsai medium with max. 5% vermiculite, next time probably 0 - 2% vermiculite - because i have it - i also have scoria with good water retention properties and zero compaction. As i won't be setting a recycling reticulation system, all i want is for the chemicals to remain in the pot for a tad longer.

Kevin
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Thanks kevin. Interesting read......

Thats changed my mind somewhat now. I just need something to add to my pumice to keep the soil from drying out too quickly.

I'll keep researching.

Thanks

NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

Homer911 wrote: I just need something to add to my pumice to keep the soil from drying out too quickly.
Hi Homer,

A friend of mine who grows hydroponics got me onto coco peat which is good for holding moisture but still provides good drainage and air to the soil. I haven't used it long enough to comment too much, but so far so good since last spring re-potting.

After reading a post on another forum, I used it 50/50 with Diatomite on some split pot air layers (Fig and Swampy) which were all successful.

It's not too expensive either.

Cheers,
Nigel
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I've used a 50 50 split of coir/coco peat to diatomite for my nepenthes plants for many years. They appreciate the quick draining results from the diatomite, and the water retention ability of the coir.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Hello Homer,

You have a lot to choose from - :imo: I don't trust vermiculite any more - cheap and nasty.

There is probably close to one hundred recipes just written in this thread.

Recently both Ken and Mojo documented good healthy mixes. Between them they could set up a 'Bunnings sized outlet' with the amount of bonsai they collectively have. :|

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on February 11th, 2016, 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Kevin wrote:Hello Homer,

They service all the agricultural and horticultural people within 300km of the Sydney CBD with 6 retail outlets (i think).

On their Home Page - Under Product Manuals (left of page) - Open fertilisers - and scroll down to Soil Conditioners - you will find Zeolite.

Alternatively, a nice drive to Quirindi NSW and you'll be able to collect your own direct from their mine site. Quotes from the mining companies product brochure - "Castle Mountain Zeolites is a locally owned and run" - "mining and processing of what is arguably the finest, commercially available natural zeolites in Australia. "

Let me know how you go.

Kevin
Hi kevin,

Tried these guys and they dont stock it.

I did try some coco a while ago but it was aslmost dust. It was just too fibe to add to bonsai soil. It would just clog up the roots.

Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Kevin »

Kevin wrote:Homer,

ACE Ohlsson Pty Ltd
1675 The Northern Rd
Bringelly NSW 2556

Kevin
Homer,
You tried this one????
Their 5 or 6 outlets operate independently. The outlet that supplied Nesci and myself is in Campbelltown - but that was special order. I was told that of all their outlets Bringelly should stock it, due to the farmers. But not for much longer, no more cows - just tile roofs on 240 - 600 square metres each of 'suburbutopia' very soon.
Kevin
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Homer
just to confuse the issue a bit more , I use graded pine bark. It's a new zealand product . The pieces are a consistant 4-5mm and it holds water pretty good here in adelaide which is as dry or drier than perth. A company called Cobb and Co stock it here, it's a product called orchiata by Besgrow
peterb
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

Kevin wrote:
Kevin wrote:Homer,

ACE Ohlsson Pty Ltd
1675 The Northern Rd
Bringelly NSW 2556

Kevin
Homer,
You tried this one????
Their 5 or 6 outlets operate independently. The outlet that supplied Nesci and myself is in Campbelltown - but that was special order. I was told that of all their outlets Bringelly should stock it, due to the farmers. But not for much longer, no more cows - just tile roofs on 240 - 600 square metres each of 'suburbutopia' very soon.
Kevin
Only tried the nearest supplier to me. Nil stock. Didnt bother with the others. I may as well just use ray if im going that far.

Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Homer911 »

peterb wrote:Hi Homer
just to confuse the issue a bit more , I use graded pine bark. It's a new zealand product . The pieces are a consistant 4-5mm and it holds water pretty good here in adelaide which is as dry or drier than perth. A company called Cobb and Co stock it here, it's a product called orchiata by Besgrow
peterb
Hey Peter, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. Enfield pet and garden have it in fine grade.

I was thinking of just using pumice and fine pine bark.
Homer911 wrote:
Kevin wrote:Hello Homer,

Let me know how you go.

Kevin
Hi kevin,

Tried these guys and they dont stock it.

I did try some coco a while ago but it was aslmost dust. It was just too fibe to add to bonsai soil. It would just clog up the roots.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”