Powerfeed and Charlie carp

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Re: Powerfeed and Charlie carp

Post by Josh »

shibui wrote:Few ferts state rates for bonsai but think a little - my bonsai are 'trees/shrubs' so I use the rates for trees /shrubs if stated on the label. They are also potted plants so if no rating for trees/shrubs look for potted plants. Basically it does not matter - use any of the rates on the label. (banksias excepted??)

I have also heard talk of Dynamic lifter being detrimental to bonsai but I have been using it for many years and so far no trouble.

Blood and bone is just nutrients. I have used it sometimes - the only issue was banksia seedlings one year but may not have been related to B&B. Do not use B&B if you have dogs - they will damage trees trying to lick it off the pots.

Home made solid fert may be hundreds of times cheaper but that does not work out to many $ and how many $ are spent chasing the ingredients and brewing and drying and applying and are you really getting the full range of nutrients??

It does not matter what fert you use. Too many people worry about WHAT to use and end up not using ANYTHING. Plants cannot read . They just take the nutrients they need and leave the rest to leach out of the pot. :imo:
Not meant to offend anyone but sometimes we think too much.
:tu:
:tu: :tu: :tu:
I use power feed, thrive and some other soluble fert ( :lost: can't remember the name). I chuck on some osmocote when I remember. All my trees get them same thing. As I have said in the past, I work on the toughen up or get out theory. I think provided you don't use the same thing every week for ever it doesn't matter as Shibui. When it comes to soil and fert bonsai people seem to make it so difficult :lost:

Josh
Gumnuts
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus/elm/maple
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Gumnuts »

Last year I soaked a pile of dynamic lifter in a plastic garbage bin.
I then used the liquid for fert all summer. I just diluted it down to a weak tea consistency.
Didn't lose any trees. I even use a very weak solution on natives.
When I use other ferts I just mix as per instructions.
Good planets are hard to find.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

From what I can remember regarding DL is you only place say 4 - 6 pellets for a sixth inch plant pot. I also use vermicompost, (worm compost) to top the plants in late winter. Indoor and outdoor ones. Luckily I have a huge one, collecting it for over 4 years, and a cold compost heap. Does anyone test their tap water? Ours in Armidale is alkaline. Or crush charcoal bits from the wood fires to mix in the soil. I do.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

shibui wrote:
I have also heard talk of Dynamic lifter being detrimental to bonsai but I have been using it for many years and so far no trouble.
It depends what you mean by trouble. On my developed trees, I got huge dark green/black leaves and long internodes compared to my home made stuff. I would never use chicken manure on finely branched trees anymore. It's a cheap nasty fertilizer designed for fast growing cabbages..which its quite good for.. I would use it for feild grown or rough trees in training if I had nothing better.
Last edited by treeman on August 22nd, 2014, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Hi all,

I just buy fert cakes. They're cheap and last me long enough. Plus it means I don't have to think about it. They are designed for bonsai so I'm confident in using them.

The only other ferts I use are when I repot trees, I mix a little blood and bone and some microfeed through the mix for each tree.

Cheers,
Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Neat blood and bone, is not recommended for pot plants, but DL has it anyway. Bone meal would be high in phosphorus I suspect. Anyway, have fun. Some times trail and error, and one Japanese Master said., "If you don't make mistakes, how can you learn? :worship: '. These masters were beginners themselves once, according to Japanese culture, but had the benefit of having a master to guide them of course.
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

MoGanic wrote:Hi all,

I just buy fert cakes. They're cheap and last me long enough. Plus it means I don't have to think about it. They are designed for bonsai so I'm confident in using them.
Where do you get your fert cakes from Mo?
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”