Heavy feeding of trees

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Re: Heavy feeding of trees

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

treeman wrote: Ryan, I just pour it over the p/mix but either way is fine. If the tree has a big and full crown I find it acts as a bit of an umbrella.
Ok thanks, generally how I liquid feed already ;) :tu: .
Last edited by cre8ivbonsai on October 30th, 2015, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
split007
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by split007 »

Hi people, can you throw some more specific brand names-products out for the inexperienced like myself. Also a few plant species next to what you would use the fertilizer with. Pines, Ficus, maples, pomegranate.....probably a section for this already. All Help is appreciated. I personally am located in SA. Have a couple hydro places around and Bunnings. I suppose I can order stock online also. Thanks in advance, all your years of experience is priceless!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hi people, can you throw some more specific brand names-products out for the inexperienced like myself. Also a few plant species next to what you would use the fertilizer with. Pines, Ficus, maples, pomegranate..
:imo: you are trying to make something that is simple into something that is far too complex. All my trees get the same fertiliser. Far too complicated to have a different sort for each different tree and when you get down to it they are all trees so all they really need is nutrients. On the question of what fertiliser - It does not matter :!: None of my plants can read so they cannot tell what fert I am applying. All they are interested in is the nutrients and all the different brands have nutrients in them. I use whatever I have on hand at the time but try to use a range of different ones like powerfeed one time then soluble fertiliser the next time rather than using the same one every time. This is just in case a particular fert is a bit short in any particular nutrient or trace element (eg blood and bone has good N and P but little K) You will note that in this post Treeman has said that he is also using several different types, presumably to give a wider range of nutrients and trace elements for his plants.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

Use the K.I.S.S. principle - Keep it simple sweetheart!
I use osmocote as the basic day to day slow release fert mixed in the soil and every week or two use a mix of charlie carp, miracle grow or whatever else is on hand. By using a few different products you get a more even spread of trace elements which all trees require.
split007
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by split007 »

Thanks guys, trying not to kill some 40year old Bonsai's and when you read through some of the posts and other material, you can easily feel guilty for not sourcing different, bigger, better....you get the picture. I have been keeping it simple so far and thought I was being lazy. Thanks for the feedback[WHITE SMILING FACE]

JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

split007 wrote:Thanks guys, trying not to kill some 40year old Bonsai's
What's your current goal for these 40yo trees? I think treeman's fertilising regime is aimed more towards young stock aiming for maximum vigorous growth. This may not be something you want for a 40yo bonsai?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

JaseH wrote:
split007 wrote:Thanks guys, trying not to kill some 40year old Bonsai's
What's your current goal for these 40yo trees? I think treeman's fertilising regime is aimed more towards young stock aiming for maximum vigorous growth. This may not be something you want for a 40yo bonsai?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
A mature tree which you basically just want to maintain and not force, should receive about 1/3 of this rate. You should mainly use the colour of the leaves as your guide. But you can also seriously starve even old trees where you end up with twig die back. Better a bit too much than too little in this case.
Mike
split007
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by split007 »

Great info guys. Thanks

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”