Soil Sifter

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Soil Sifter

Post by treeman »

pureheart wrote:[
You are really convincing me that I should be sifting.... Although I'm worried that it will make my mix too dry in summer, being able to water only twice a day before going to work and after... What do you think?
Twice a day is enough. I usually water once per day unless it's really hot and windy. Each plant is different. When it's hot there are always a few which begin to wilt before the others. These are the ones you need to protect a bit more by shading and/or using a finer mix. For me, quince are always the first to show the need for water.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Boics wrote:Place any concerning tree's on a tray of water with some scoria inside and you'll be fine over the warmer days.
Boics, be ware that it has been proven that a wet tray under the plants does absolutely nothing to help. Humidity measurements show no difference to those without trays. Letting the pot sit in water can be dangerous for many species.
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Boics, be ware that it has been proven that a wet tray under the plants does absolutely nothing to help. Humidity measurements show no difference to those without trays. Letting the pot sit in water can be dangerous for many species.
Not sure who has proven that or how. What I do know is that my smaller bonsai definitely grow much better on a humidity tray in hot weather - and I have tried both with and without. Maybe it is not the humidity but something is helping and I have not had any adverse affects that I can blame the trays for over more than 10 years of use.
[/What does the scoria do?quote] The scoria is just a medium to keep the pot sitting above water level. The idea is to have the pot sitting on top of water, not soaking in it. I use either coarse sand, gravel or diatomite in my trays but it does not matter what, just so the pot is above the level of the water.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

Hi Treeman, what's that clay you're using?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

shibui wrote:
Not sure who has proven that or how. What I do know is that my smaller bonsai definitely grow much better on a humidity tray in hot weather - and I have tried both with and without. Maybe it is not the humidity but something is helping and I have not had any adverse affects that I can blame the trays for over more than 10 years of use.
It has been established that there is no benefit from increased humidity because there basically is no increased humidity. It's possible the tray with stones up close to the underneath of the of the pot slows down air movement and evaporation from the drainage hole. Yes there would be no adverse affects from using a tray.
Last edited by treeman on September 8th, 2016, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Waltron wrote:Hi Treeman, what's that clay you're using?
A few years back I had 10 metres of free soil delivered for the garden. Just so happens that it sifts into nice stable particles of whatever size I want. Quite similar to akadama.
Most red mountain sub soils will do that. Monbulk and Kinglake is full of it. It's just a bit of work doing the sifting but I like to include a bit of subsoil in the mix for deciduous species for nutrient retention and well as nutrient supply from the soil itself.
Mike
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Post by teejay »

I bought it years ago through the bonsai club I was in at the time. You shouldn't have any trouble online though I would think.
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Post by teejay »

Sorry, that last comment was for Pureheart.
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

teejay wrote:Sorry, that last comment was for Pureheart.
Thank you I got my self one here https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272328131942

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

I thought I'd add a pic as I sifted a bag yesterday. The buckets are what I removed as waste and is about 2.1 litres. If my maths is right that's 6% of a 35 litre bag. Not including what blew around the garden so always wear a mask. It took about 20 minutes so not much hassle.
Sifted.jpg
Cheers,
Nigel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

NAHamilton wrote:I thought I'd add a pic as I sifted a bag yesterday. The buckets are what I removed as waste and is about 2.1 litres. If my maths is right that's 6% of a 35 litre bag. Not including what blew around the garden so always wear a mask. It took about 20 minutes so not much hassle.
Sifted.jpg
Cheers,
Nigel
Thanks Nigel do you sift even the coco peat? Or do you use only diatomite? Are those fine particles ok for the garden? What do you do with it?

NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by NAHamilton »

Hi Pureheart,
treeman wrote:
Composted coco peat for thirsty species (before sifting)
P1100322.JPG
I do now :lol:

On Wednesday I also sifted a bag of potting mix with the same tools as my pic. Cheaps ones :tu:

I use this, coco peat and Diatomite for things I'm developing in big pots (which is most of them) and the adding of potting mix was a financial decision. A little bit of the coco peat in bonsai pots for those that like more water, but mostly pure Diatomite. That was after reading Walter Palls heavy feeding and watering article. I'm sharing my 3 years experience so bear that in mind.

I put all the fine particles in my sweethearts compost. I can't tell you if its good or bad for the garden. I can tell you that saying yes and sharing is good for my relation ship :whistle:

Cheers,
Nigel
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

Oh really you use diatomite even in big training pots? That would cost a lot no? Do you reuse the diatomite when repotting? Can it be reused?

NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by NAHamilton »

Yeah I just sift it again. the expense I why I mix soil with it.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by treeman »

Well I've given this clay a good trial and it's works fantastically well! I put in a black pine with 100% clay pellets from my soil pile. No breakdown of the particles and the roots seem to love it. So does the mycorrhizae. There is hardly any waste. Just a bit of fine dust. The rest is usable.
All my developed trees are going in it now.

fine
P1110385.JPG
medium fine
P1110386.JPG
medium
P1110387.JPG
medium coarse
P1110388.JPG
coarse
P1110389.JPG
We have our own akadama here, you just have to find it!
P1110392.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”