Soil Sifter

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Soil Sifter

Post by pureheart »

Hi everyone, do you use a soil sifter when you prepare your bonsai's soil? Is it really needed? I've seen expert people growing their tree in normal good soil before repotting in a bonsai pot.... So I wonder is it really necessary to flush out all the small particles? Won't they go away anyways when watering?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Soil Sifter

Post by KIRKY »

I don't sift mine. Never had a problem. Depends on your mix as long as it drains well and doesn't turn to clay or dry out like concrete.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

What are you using? I use Diatomite which I think is worth sifting to get all of the dust out. It seems to make everything in the pot join into a big clump and not a good one like Walter Pall's Japanese Maple. :whistle: It also means I can grade the particles. I use the smaller stuff for small pots and the larger for larger pots and a base layer. Some I mix together (I'm still figuring out whats best for me).

It doesn't take long and seems worthwhile. I base a lot of my bonsai jobs on time vs perceived benefit.

I hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Nigel
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

KIRKY wrote:I don't sift mine. Never had a problem. Depends on your mix as long as it drains well and doesn't turn to clay or dry out like concrete.
Cheers
Kirky
Thank you, what soil do you use? I do a roughly mix of 40% diatomite 40% coco peat and 20% normal soil...

Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I just chuck a piece of flyscreen cloth in a 300mm orchid pot for siving my diatomite. Seems to help its drainage to me.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 6th, 2016, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

Pearcy001 wrote:I just chuck a piece of flyscreen cloth in a 300mm orchid pot for siving my diatomite. Seems to help its drainage to me.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Ok but how do you know it helps? Have you tried without sifting? Wouldn't all the finer particles wash away?

Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

pureheart wrote:Ok but how do you know it helps? Have you tried without sifting? Wouldn't all the finer particles wash away?
I use a mix of 50/50 diatomite and pine bark nuggets. I never used to bother and when I watered, the top layer of substrate would always lift and shift about. Since I have been removing the diatomite fines the water just runs straight through and everything stays where it is. In saying all that, it was never enough of an issue to bother me. I just didn't want to risk a build up of the fines over the 12 months making it claggy when it comes to repotting. I've only been in the hobby for around 2 years so take my experiences with a grain of salt :)

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 7th, 2016, 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

Pearcy001 wrote:
pureheart wrote:Ok but how do you know it helps? Have you tried without sifting? Wouldn't all the finer particles wash away?
I use a mix of 50/50 diatomite and pine bark nuggets. I never used to bother and when I watered, the top layer of substrate would always lift and shift about. Since I have been removing the diatomite fines the water just runs straight through and everything stays where it is. In saying all that, it was never enough of an issue to bother me. I just didn't want to risk a build up of the fines over the 12 months making it claggy when it comes to repotting. I've only been in the hobby for around 2 years so take my experiences with a grain of salt :)

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Thank you for the explanation! I assume your soil would be quite dry no? Do the pine bark nuggets retain a lot of moisture?

treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

I'm a sifter. Here's my mix for most things in pots up to about 200mm
Larger pots will need more sifting.
Very roughly equal parts.
Bark
P1100318.JPG

Sand
P1100320.JPG

Clay
P1100321.JPG

Composted coco peat for thirsty species (before sifting)
P1100322.JPG

Mix
P1100329.JPG
A mix without dust or very fine particles allows you to feed and water more heavily which leads to faster healthier growth. You have to keep on top of the watering though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by treeman on September 7th, 2016, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

treeman wrote:I'm a sifter. Here's my mix for most things in pots up to about 200mm
Larger pots will need more sifting.
Very roughly equal parts.
Bark
P1100318.JPG

Sand
P1100320.JPG

Clay
P1100321.JPG

Composted coco peat for thirsty species (before sifting)
P1100322.JPG

Mix
P1100329.JPG
A mix without dust or very fine particles allows you to feed and water more heavily which leads to faster healthier growth. You have to keep on top of the watering though!
You are really convincing me that I should be sifting.... Although I'm worried that it will make my mix too dry in summer, being able to water only twice a day before going to work and after... What do you think?

Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

pureheart wrote:You are really convincing me that I should be sifting.... Although I'm worried that it will make my mix too dry in summer, being able to water only twice a day before going to work and after... What do you think?
I believe some people on here add coco peat or chopped spagnum moss to their mix to help retain moisture? Unfortunately never done it myself so cannot comment, although in summer I do plan to add a layer of spagnum moss on the top of any of my pots that dry quicker.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 7th, 2016, 9:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Place any concerning tree's on a tray of water with some scoria inside and you'll be fine over the warmer days.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

Boics wrote:Place any concerning tree's on a tray of water with some scoria inside and you'll be fine over the warmer days.
What does the scoria do?

teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Post by teejay »

My sieve is one of the best bonsai investments I've made. Prior to using one I also found that the soil clogged up eventually but now it continues to drain well. I use diatomite and normal potting mix (the too busy to experiment much mix!)
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pureheart »

teejay wrote:My sieve is one of the best bonsai investments I've made. Prior to using one I also found that the soil clogged up eventually but now it continues to drain well. I use diatomite and normal potting mix (the too busy to experiment much mix!)
teejay would you please tell me where you bought your sieve? Anyone would recommend one to buy ?

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”