Soil need some help

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, maple, ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Soil need some help

Post by bonsaeen »

Hi All,

I was just looking at the soil for my Bonsai and what I have read online so far has confused me completely. Anyways first off I am new to this stuff so most of the technical words don't make a lot of sense to me but this is what I have been able to put together from all the reading.

I can buy Turface MVP and mix mixed grit and optional 10-20% bark and that would make a good soil?

Am I correct and if not can you please give me some idea and ideally some links for where to buy. Thanks
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Soil need some help

Post by treeman »

Yes that would be fine, but it's very important the roots are teased out and introduced into the new mix. Especially if the tree is in a finer mix now.
Mike
The Surgeon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus & Figs
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Geelong

Post by The Surgeon »

Not sure whereabouts in Melbourne you are located, however i have recently purchased my media from Damien. Here is his site http://www.ology.net.au/bonsai-soils

I am really impressed with what he has provided. Drop him a text if you're in the Maidstone area. He will talk you through the different mixes he prepares. After using his stuff this growing season, I wont be bothered mixing my own anymore.

Note: I have no affiliation with this product, site or with Damien - just found him from google searching when i ran out of Maidenwell diatomite.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I've read terrible things about turface and bonsai.
I 2nd Damian who can provide you with all the usual mediums (pumice, pine bark, zeolite, diatomite).
Speak to him and he'll set you of just fine and can help with ratios etc.

More here: https://crataegus.com/2013/11/24/life-without-turface/
Last edited by Boics on January 16th, 2017, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks all. Talked to Damien and I am going to pick up a bag of standard mix that he said some Bonsai Groups buy from him. He definitely was very helpful and explained a lot of things so looks like my soil needs are taken care of now. thanks again
bonsaeen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonsaeen »

Thanks once again guys. I got the soil now so looking forward to repotting the fig this weekend. Damien was pretty helpful and he also gave me an apple tree which is probably a Fiji apple. Now sure how good it will look as bonsai but knowing I'm a noob he probably thought this will be a good experience.
IMG_4318.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”