Ground Growing VS Grow box

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
fishnfreak
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Ground Growing VS Grow box

Post by fishnfreak »

Im chasing a comparison between planting trees (mainly figs, bougenvillea, maples) into the ground and planting into grow box's....
Which is preferred?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
FruitFly
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything, cause I'm new
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Ground Growing VS Grow box

Post by FruitFly »

I suppose it comes down to personal preference and the amount of time you intend to give the trees. As a newbie myself, I'm going to try both.

With a grow box you have more control over the roots as they are contained, but you may gain more vigour in the ground. I have a specific area that I'm turning into a "Pre Bonsai Garden" that will essentially be a raised garden bed of sorts. In this, I will plant a few various trees including maples and natives. Figs will go into a grow box as I'm in Canberra and they need to go into the greenhouse for winter. Still early days for me and I'm still organising myself.

At this point, I'm thinking that I might still be lifting the plants each year (or 2) to check and correct any root issues and simple "clip and grow" maintenance.

Cheers
Enthusiasm on Fire is Better than Knowledge on Ice
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

In my small yard I need to grow them in boxes or double pots so that they can be moved to get the sunlight. I have very little actual ground that's able to be planted, too many decks and concrete paths... :cry:
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Doesn't look like you have an option then. Nature is best so in ground is the way to go as the trees will bulk up quickly. But like me I am currently growing maples in grow pots due to lack of space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

the ground is a little faster, but less convenient
If you can do both then :yes:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Don't think that either ground or box growing are sure bets. There are lots of things that can go wrong with either so not every tree you put in will be a winner.
When fast growing you may get a thick trunk quickly but also anything that goes wrong will be much quicker too
As well as thick trunks you can get: a few thick roots = terrible nebari; large pruning scars; overly thick branches; lack of trunk movement; and more.
Growing in boxes may be a fraction slower to achieve the same diameter but you will have more control over the process.
Can you grow ficus and bougies in the open in S.A.? Both are a bit sensitive to cold in winter.

By all means have a go but my advice is to also grow a few trees under more controlled pot conditions. It will take longer but in my experience the results are well worth the wait.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tambrand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tamarind
Bonsai Age: 37
Bonsai Club: Lives in the West Indies

Post by Tambrand »

You can also determine if a tree/shrub needs the ground, growing box or just a bonsai pot.

We have two examples on our side ------- Ficus p, in a 1" deep pot on 10% by volume organic, with a 1 m branch will thicken
the trunk.
It's cousin the Chlorophora t, with a 1 m branch will thicken the branch, but not the trunk.

Additionally, when we ground grow we use a colander, as it makes removal and recovery much easier.

As to over thick surface roots, you can sweep off the soil on the roots and just cut to slow thickening.
Once again a colander makes this much easier.
Don't just plant and walk away.
Laters.
Tambrand
"We grow our Bonsai for Beauty, not for produce or lumber."
fishnfreak
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by fishnfreak »

shibui wrote:Don't think that either ground or box growing are sure bets. There are lots of things that can go wrong with either so not every tree you put in will be a winner.
When fast growing you may get a thick trunk quickly but also anything that goes wrong will be much quicker too
As well as thick trunks you can get: a few thick roots = terrible nebari; large pruning scars; overly thick branches; lack of trunk movement; and more.
Growing in boxes may be a fraction slower to achieve the same diameter but you will have more control over the process.
Can you grow ficus and bougies in the open in S.A.? Both are a bit sensitive to cold in winter.

By all means have a go but my advice is to also grow a few trees under more controlled pot conditions. It will take longer but in my experience the results are well worth the wait.
Second winter with the bougy and first with the ficus...possibly bring them inside or construct a glasshouse.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi fishnfreak,
Tambrand mentioned Colanders. This is a thread I posted some time back on Colanders. This may give some ideas as well. Ground Plating in Colanders

This is another thread looking at double potting. Using Double Pots

Regards Ray

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”